The Draft Poll

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

The Draft Poll

Post by JollyRoger »

With the draft 2 weeks away, and a chance to see 3 of the top 5 prospects in the College WS this weekend, who do you want the Bucs to draft.

There has been a lot of speculation recently that the Bucs may be favoring Skenes instead of Crews. Skenes has been awesome and the Bucs will never afford pitching at the ML level.

However picking a pitcher at #1 is too big of a risk. Very small percentage have been dominant ML pitchers.

For every Gerrit Cole, there was Benson, Bullinton, even Taillon though he had some success. Look at what happened to Strausburg after his initial success.

Crews is my vote as he has a chance to be a generational talent.

Also I want a Number 1 to be in the lineup every day, not once in 5 days.

I will be disappointed if the select Skenes

I will be disgusted if they try to save money and go with a HS kid.

This is an obvious choice, please don’t blow it BC
WildwoodDave2

The Draft Poll

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I am with you JR- Crews

Bucs need HITTING
UtahPirate

The Draft Poll

Post by UtahPirate »

I don't think the Max Clark pick is a matter of saving money - the Pirates always spend every last cent. It is a matter of spreading money out. I loved the 21 draft and how it rolled out. Clark is the one that offers that possibility for 23.

I would normally go Skenes - but I wanted to go contrary for the "disgusted" comment, as I can see a why for picking Clark.

Callis see him as a potential 5-tool player and Law says he is good enough to go #1 in most years. Johnson last year wanted more than slot and there didn't seem to be any surprises after because the money wasn't there. I've heard Crews wants more than slot. Not sure about Skenes. But Clark is reported to be willing to take as much as $2M underslot.

So when comparing it is Clark and who else? We have the most money in the draft - what are the potential signings down the line? In 21 it was Davis and then Solomento, Lonnie White, Bubba Chandler, and Braylon Bishop who were all overslot and considered hard to sign until we showed the money. Just making a case for the HS pick.

JollyRoger

The Draft Poll

Post by JollyRoger »

0D2C393008312A392C3D580 wrote: I don't think the Max Clark pick is a matter of saving money - the Pirates always spend every last cent. It is a matter of spreading money out. I loved the 21 draft and how it rolled out. Clark is the one that offers that possibility for 23.

I would normally go Skenes - but I wanted to go contrary for the "disgusted" comment, as I can see a why for picking Clark.

Callis see him as a potential 5-tool player and Law says he is good enough to go #1 in most years. Johnson last year wanted more than slot and there didn't seem to be any surprises after because the money wasn't there. I've heard Crews wants more than slot. Not sure about Skenes. But Clark is reported to be willing to take as much as $2M underslot.

So when comparing it is Clark and who else? We have the most money in the draft - what are the potential signings down the line? In 21 it was Davis and then Solomento, Lonnie White, Bubba Chandler, and Braylon Bishop who were all overslot and considered hard to sign until we showed the money. Just making a case for the HS pick.

I agree with you about the 2021 draft. Pirates were able to pull off a coup by getting basically 3 first round talents by saving money on Davis instead of taking Marcelo Mayor. However it also made sense because the Pirates had no decent catchers in the system.

Clark may turn into a 5 tool player but he is a High Schooler and would most likely be 5 years away. By that time the Pirates might be on the downward side of their contending window. Unless Cruz and Davis were locked up to long term contracts they might be gone. I would hope Crews could be in the Majors within 2 years
UtahPirate

The Draft Poll

Post by UtahPirate »

76535050456E535B594E3C0 wrote: I don't think the Max Clark pick is a matter of saving money - the Pirates always spend every last cent. It is a matter of spreading money out. I loved the 21 draft and how it rolled out. Clark is the one that offers that possibility for 23.

I agree with you about the 2021 draft. Pirates were able to pull off a coup by getting basically 3 first round talents by saving money on Davis instead of taking Marcelo Mayor. However it also made sense because the Pirates had no decent catchers in the system.

Clark may turn into a 5 tool player but he is a High Schooler and would most likely be 5 years  away. By that time the Pirates might  be on the downward side of their contending window. Unless Cruz and Davis were locked up to long term contracts they might be gone. I would hope Crews could be in the Majors within 2 years

And I totally get this argument as a counter to a Clark pick - the proverbial window. It will be interesting. I like being #1 that's for sure as those top three make you drool and all would seem to be able to be fast-tracked. Langford with a big day today and has some moxie about him as well.
Ecbucs

The Draft Poll

Post by Ecbucs »

0223363F073E25362332570 wrote: I don't think the Max Clark pick is a matter of saving money - the Pirates always spend every last cent. It is a matter of spreading money out. I loved the 21 draft and how it rolled out. Clark is the one that offers that possibility for 23.

if they think Clark is a Manny Machado or Bryce Harper type player that can be in majors quickly and make an impact then take him. If they think it is going to take 4 or 5 years then go with someone else. Neither Lonnie White, Buba Chandler of Braylon Bishop have advanced much in the Pirate farm system (still early but they need to show something this season, and they may be starting to do so). Still none have dominated a level yet.
ChillinStation

The Draft Poll

Post by ChillinStation »

Been thinking Crews all the way.

Bubba will bolt back to College and play football, just wait. Give Pirates a refund and go get some NIL,
WildwoodDave2

The Draft Poll

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Today's PG discusses the plus and minus of taking Crews or

Skenes. Again there is concern about Skenes arm considering

he has been clocked at 103 MPH. Good article
UtahPirate

The Draft Poll

Post by UtahPirate »

When Boras is your agent, you can expect crap like this:

https://triblive.com/sports/report-perc ... n-pirates/

Of course, it may just be Boras setting the table for when Crews says he wants $10 million. I'm glad Crews thinks he is that good - as I recall, so did Pedro another Boras boy who played the money game when drafted and then showed the college game was not the best prep for MLB.
fjk090852-7

The Draft Poll

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have this feeling that the Pirates will pick Langford at 1-1. I really think Crews doesn’t want to play for Pittsburgh. I cannot see him sitting out if they pick him, but he may want to really exceed the slotted amount, and the Bucs may decide to not meet his demands.