Cherington interview.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Cherington interview.

Post by Bobster »

Cherington discusses the upcoming 2024 season in this interview in the Trib.

https://triblive.com/sports/we-have-to- ... ll-season/

I find it worrisome but not surprising that he always wants to be in the development mode. Seems like he doesn't want to say anything to commit to a plan to be competitive. He just wants to be able to show improvement. That keeps the bar low. He could win a couple more games next year than in this year and claim success.

When Ben Cherington was asked Sunday on his weekly radio show if the Pittsburgh Pirates can contend in 2024, the fourth-year general manager was cautiously optimistic.

“You have to believe that, right? Our job is to believe that we can do that,” Cherington said on 93.7 The Fan. “We have to be optimistic. We have to believe in what we are capable of doing. That’s part of the game, part of the job, part of the business. But with that, we have to be very honest also and focus on all the things we can get better at. We’ll just keep getting after it and keep improving. That’s the name of the game.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Re: Cherington interview.

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 pm Cherington discusses the upcoming 2024 season in this interview in the Trib.

I find it worrisome but not surprising that he always wants to be in the development mode. Seems like he doesn't want to say anything to commit to a plan to be competitive. He just wants to be able to show improvement. That keeps the bar low. He could win a couple more games next year than in this year and claim success.

When Ben Cherington was asked Sunday on his weekly radio show if the Pittsburgh Pirates can contend in 2024, the fourth-year general manager was cautiously optimistic.

“You have to believe that, right? Our job is to believe that we can do that,” Cherington said on 93.7 The Fan. “We have to be optimistic. We have to believe in what we are capable of doing. That’s part of the game, part of the job, part of the business. But with that, we have to be very honest also and focus on all the things we can get better at. We’ll just keep getting after it and keep improving. That’s the name of the game.
I think "always being in development mode" comes with the territory when considering the small market franchises. They know they can't or won't keep their best players when they near free agency so it's a constant necessity to continue finding and developing great talent. It's the only way they'll obtain it. This isn't to excuse Bob Nutting for how he runs the franchise. I think he'd operate a big market team about the same way he does the Pirates.

That's why I contend that the larger issue is the owners' refusal to determine a set amount of payroll all teams must spend each season. But as long as MLB is making the revenues and profits it is, no change will be forthcoming. So, in places like Pittsburgh, we'll get a rotating door of GMs who will all do about the same thing BC is doing. The problem is us Pirates fans. We made the mistake of being born here.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:12 pm
Bobster wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 pm Cherington discusses the upcoming 2024 season in this interview in the Trib.

I think "always being in development mode" comes with the territory when considering the small market franchises. They know they can't or won't keep their best players when they near free agency so it's a constant necessity to continue finding and developing great talent. It's the only way they'll obtain it. This isn't to excuse Bob Nutting for how he runs the franchise. I think he'd operate a big market team about the same way he does the Pirates.

That's why I contend that the larger issue is the owners' refusal to determine a set amount of payroll all teams must spend each season. But as long as MLB is making the revenues and profits it is, no change will be forthcoming. So, in places like Pittsburgh, we'll get a rotating door of GMs who will all do about the same thing BC is doing. The problem is us Pirates fans. We made the mistake of being born here.
I agree that they have to continue to develop players. But the goal has to be to achieve a serious contender. Seems like Cherington just wants to talk about improving by increments. When asked about contending in 2024, he says they have to be optimistic but also have to be honest and just focus on getting better. That's vague. It could mean high 70 wins. Cherington always seems to want to be judged by how the development is going rather than ever fielding a competitive team. It's always going to be easier to win a few more games than the previous year than to contend for a post season spot.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:32 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:12 pm

I agree that they have to continue to develop players. But the goal has to be to achieve a serious contender. Seems like Cherington just wants to talk about improving by increments. When asked about contending in 2024, he says they have to be optimistic but also have to be honest and just focus on getting better. That's vague. It could mean high 70 wins. Cherington always seems to want to be judged by how the development is going rather than ever fielding a competitive team. It's always going to be easier to win a few more games than the previous year than to contend for a post season spot.
I agree the goal has to be greater than just developing players. The purpose of holding a season of baseball, after all, is to determine a champion. If BC, or the organization, isn't willing to try to attain that goal, we're all just wasting our time.