Bucs Future On TV

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bucs Future On TV

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We are coming to the end of the Pirates being televised on the ATT Network. The Penguins have already announced they have joined the new network which is part of their Boston ownership group. The Pirates can either join the Penguins new network, or they have an option to have MLB oversee their television network. It all seems somewhat confusing, but I think I would prefer that the Pirates enter an arrangement with MLB. If MLB was providing the games, they could also provide additional shows such as the Inside Pirates Baseball programs. I am not sure that if the Bucs joined the network with the Pens, they may not have as much programming on the network as the Pens. I am sure the final decision will depend on the money the Pirates receive for entering a new TV agreement. I wonder whether these negotiations will play out throughout the offseason. It will be interesting to see which option the Pirates choose to televise games after this season.
PooperScooper !

Re: Bucs Future On TV

Post by PooperScooper ! »

They should try to get games shown in Alaska lots of untapped future Pirates fans. Many Steelers fans so maybe it can transfer :?:
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

A recent article from Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette indicates that a decision regarding the future of the Pirates television rights should be finalized around the time of the upcoming Winter Meetings. According to his article if the Pirates join with the Pens on the local Sports Network they would probably continue to have additional programming besides the baseball game. Such as inside Pirates Baseball, pre and post game broadcasts. It sounds like the MLB Site would carry the game, and possibly a short pregame broadcast, and no additional programming. I am sure money paid to the Pirates will determine which site will carry the games. Myself as a fan, I would like to hear additional insight regarding the team, it’s prospects, upcoming drafts etc. which it appears we would only get if the Pirates signed an agreement with the local Pittsburgh Sports Network.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

As long as the games are televised, it matters not to me. Inside Pirates Baseball has some occasional interesting stuff, but it's not a baseball show, it's pretty much a fluff cheerleading show. Regardless what the merits of the hosts are, I still like the pre and post game shows, even if I find McKenry just way too over the top praising every single guy on the team like they're all bound for the HOF.

So as long as there are pre and post game shows, I'm good. But I do hope they'll do the replays of the game, as the Penguins continue to do.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Whoever broadcasts the games, I just hope there's an attitude change in the presentation. It seems like the emphasis has been placed on the announcers to make them the focal point instead of the game. I don't see every team's broadcasts but those I do see via the MLB Extra Innings package do not switch the camera view to the announcers in the booth every inning so that we can watch them while they talk with one another. It's the same conversations that begin while we are seeing the action on the field, then shift to a view of the announcers and then shift back to a view of the field. Which proves that it is not necessary to watch them talk to one another during a portion of the discussion. The producers just want them on camera as much as possible. Then we have the constant attempts at comedy by Brown and Walk and now also Capps. Brown can't get through a half inning without laughing a dozen times at his own comments. They've been bringing in former Pirates as analysts while Brown constantly praises Young, Walker and Capps as though they belong in the HOF. So it seems they were hired to be an attraction in and of themselves as much if not more than to lend their expertise to the description of the game being played in front of them. And Brown and Block are always asking them about their own careers so that the conversation gets to be about them and not about the game they are supposed to be analyzing. And of course we also get treated to the back and forths with Robby and we get to watch the announcers eat the food he takes to them.

I know the play on the field by the Pirates leaves much to be desired. But I think the majority of fans who watch the broadcasts do so out of love of baseball and loyalty to their Buccos. Not to be enthralled by the wacky hijinks of Brown and Walk, or the thrill of hearing stories about the careers of the analysts or to see what food Robby takes to the booth. Or to watch the announcers eat. Whoever produces these broadcasts needs to stop treating it like a variety show "starring your favorite announcers" and focus on the game being played that the viewers tuned in to see. And if they won't do that then they might as well have Brown and Block work in a few songs for our entertainment.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Post by Possum »

I pretty much agree with what you are saying Bobster. Brown is the voice of the Pirates and you will never get rid of him. Block, well, I would not be afraid to tell him to "don't let the door hit you in the ass" as get out of town.
I can handle the camera showing the announcers but not between every pitch or even during a pitch or a play while the announcers are joking around.
When it comes to color guys I can put up with Capps but I would like Wehner in there most of the time. I always like Walk but since he has semi-retired his color commentary has gone to hell in a handbasket.
Finally, there is Robby! WTF is he all about? He must have gotten his broadcast journalism training from the ACME School of Broadcast Journalism using correspondence classes. Maybe Robby can play the part of the Wiley Coyote in the Road Runner show and end up falling off a cliff.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:47 pm I pretty much agree with what you are saying Bobster. Brown is the voice of the Pirates and you will never get rid of him. Block, well, I would not be afraid to tell him to "don't let the door hit you in the ass" as get out of town.
I can handle the camera showing the announcers but not between every pitch or even during a pitch or a play while the announcers are joking around.
When it comes to color guys I can put up with Capps but I would like Wehner in there most of the time. I always like Walk but since he has semi-retired his color commentary has gone to hell in a handbasket.
Finally, there is Robby! WTF is he all about? He must have gotten his broadcast journalism training from the ACME School of Broadcast Journalism using correspondence classes. Maybe Robby can play the part of the Wiley Coyote in the Road Runner show and end up falling off a cliff.
THAT IS FUNNY, POSSUM! :D :D :D

Robby seems like the smoking gun evidence that the broadcasts are more about personalities than the game. Action on the field gets ignored while we watch him talk to people in the stands. We miss game action while he takes food to the booth. And his inane post game interview questions suggest he knows little about baseball. You may be right about his ACME diploma. But I suspect if he fell off the cliff and a big boulder landed on him, he would escape unscathed, dust himself off and proceed to take food up to the booth. (meep meep!)

As for the analysts, I prefer Wehner. He's very thorough and informative. I had Wehner as a coach at a fantasy camp in Bradenton years ago. He's a very funny guy but doesn't try to be a comedian in the broadcasts, which is a refreshing change from Brown and Walk who yuk it up every game. I think Walk is also outstanding in his analysis but seems too interested in comedy these days.
There's no basement in the Alamo.