Giolito waived by Angels

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Giolito waived by Angels

Post by Osushawn »

Curious if the Buccos can put a claim in for the remainder of the season and sign him for next year. I know it would never happen, but we can dream.
Possum

Re: Giolito waived by Angels

Post by Possum »

Can he be more than just a vet who can take the 5th starter position like Hill did this year? At $10,000,000 I doubt he would take anything less and would want some years. Besides, if I were him I would want to go to a contender in '24 even if it meant taking less money.
Let's Go Bucs
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't/couldn't do it. The "nutting too CHEAP" argument just doesn't seem to hold up here. How washed up is he?
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

SammyKhalifa wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:52 pm I don't see any reason why they wouldn't/couldn't do it. The "nutting too CHEAP" argument just doesn't seem to hold up here. How washed up is he?
He's the type of "once good but now a reclamation project" guy they usually look for. Money-wise, he's on a 10.4 million contract this year and a FA next year. Most of that 10.4 has already been paid with about 2 million still due. A team claiming him on waivers has to pick up that contract. It wouldn't be worth their while unless they gave him a new contract for next year as well but that's risky with him on the decline. My guess is that they will look at him in the offseason as a potential FA pickup after checking him out. But I don't think they'll put in a waiver claim.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

He was claimed by the Guardians.

Do waivers still go through the whole league of the waiving team first? Curious.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

SammyKhalifa wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:18 pm He was claimed by the Guardians.

Do waivers still go through the whole league of the waiving team first? Curious.
Yes. About 4 teams would have passed before Cleveland could put in a claim. The guardians are only 64-70 but just 5 games out of the division lead. First place Twins are 69-65. If he has something left and can help them catch the Twins, it'll be worth it. He's a FA next year so the Pirates could still be interested. His remaining starts for Cleveland will probably determine how much value he has on the FA market in 2024.
There's no basement in the Alamo.