RF Max Kepler L
SS C. Correa R
2B J. Polanco S
LF Matt Wallner L
1B D. Solano R
C Ryan Jeffers R
CF M. Taylor R
SP Pablo Lopez R

It looks like Bae was reinstated from the IL and Triolo was optioned. A lefty for a righty? Go figure!
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/18 - Bucs @ Twins

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think they want to see if Bae can handle centerfield, and if he can hit Major League pitching. There are several decisions they have to make this offseason with regards to who remains on the roster, or which players they could trade, or designate for assignment.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:43 pm I think they want to see if Bae can handle centerfield, and if he can hit Major League pitching. There are several decisions they have to make this offseason with regards to who remains on the roster, or which players they could trade, or designate for assignment.
I don't see where Williams has a role once Cruz returns. And he's batting .200. Triolo is the team's leading hitter and Peguero can play SS. So I would say optioning Triolo instead of Williams to make room for Bae is bizarre if it were not the Pirates. For the Pirates, it's the usual insanity.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I think Williams and Rivas are auditioning for their 40 man roster spots. Both look like they could be cut from roster if spots are needed after this season.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Ecbucs wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:53 pm I think Williams and Rivas are auditioning for their 40 man roster spots. Both look like they could be cut from roster if spots are needed after this season.
I agree with you, both these players could be removed from the roster this offseason. There is a good chance Triolo will be their super sub next season. He has played his normal position third base, started a few games at second and has played in the minors some shortstop, and very little first base. I expect we will see Triolo once the roster expands in September.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:49 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:43 pm I think they want to see if Bae can handle centerfield, and if he can hit Major League pitching. There are several decisions they have to make this offseason with regards to who remains on the roster, or which players they could trade, or designate for assignment.
I don't see where Williams has a role once Cruz returns. And he's batting .200. Triolo is the team's leading hitter and Peguero can play SS. So I would say optioning Triolo instead of Williams to make room for Bae is bizarre if it were not the Pirates. For the Pirates, it's the usual insanity.
Yeah, this is a nutty decision. Williams will have no place here in the future. He’s the guy who needs to be sent down, or even released, if the Pirates insist on having Bae on the team (which I don’t understand, either. He’s already shown he’s not going to help more than others in the future.).

Peguero needs to play SS, maybe even be the future starter. Before Cruz returns, the Pirates ought to prepare him to play first base. (If he can play SS, he can learn to play 1B). They can use his injury as an excuse, claiming playing 1B will reduce the stress on his leg. It solves the 1B problem and gets Peguero on the field, where he’s showing he can handle the bat and SS.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Triolo is only useful playing third. He completely sucks at second, he doesn't have the range for today's game, let alone the baseball acumen, to play second. The infield equivalent of Davis in right.

Him and Williams are at best trying to become journeymen. It doesn't matter who is kept right now or sent down. Neither of them have a future here. None of the guys who have played SS this season has shown any kind of incredible ability. Williams might be the best of a bad lot. So here he stays, Triolo sent down. They each seem to be able to only play one position with any form of major league level competence, and with Hayes being the far superior between him and Triolo, sending down Triolo makes sense.

I have no clue in what baseball world Triolo qualifies as "the team's leading hitter."
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:47 pm Triolo is only useful playing third. He completely sucks at second, he doesn't have the range for today's game, let alone the baseball acumen, to play second. The infield equivalent of Davis in right.

Him and Williams are at best trying to become journeymen. It doesn't matter who is kept right now or sent down. Neither of them have a future here. None of the guys who have played SS this season has shown any kind of incredible ability. Williams might be the best of a bad lot. So here he stays, Triolo sent down. They each seem to be able to only play one position with any form of major league level competence, and with Hayes being the far superior between him and Triolo, sending down Triolo makes sense.

I have no clue in what baseball world Triolo qualifies as "the team's leading hitter."
The world where he's batting .273 and everyone else has a lower batting average. That world.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:47 pm Triolo is only useful playing third. He completely sucks at second, he doesn't have the range for today's game, let alone the baseball acumen, to play second. The infield equivalent of Davis in right.

I have to disagree with part of your assessment of Triolo, Surge. I think he’s going to be a pretty good major league player. I do agree with you that he’s a much better defender at third than at second. But I tend to believe that Triolo, given the opportunity, can be a better overall player than Hayes. But unless Hayes suffers a considerable injury, he won’t get the chance to prove it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bae sticks it to me by starting the game with a single.