Is Suwinski Part Of The Future

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Is Suwinski Part Of The Future

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like Suwinski, and yes he leads the team in home runs, and has become a good center fielder, but those extended slumps are very concerning. He has tremendous power when he connects, but his strikeout rate is very bad. At this time I am not sure if he will be part of the future Pirates winning teams. The Phillies have Schwarber who strikes out a ton, doesn’t hit for a big average , but hit’s more homers than Suwinski. A team can live with a player hitting 35 or more homers, but at this point I don’t think Suwinski will hit than many homers in a season. I am just wondering if the Pirates should look for a better player this offseason to play centerfield. Suwinski is not the sole reason the team is 12 games below .500, but possibly this offseason something should be done to address the centerfield position.
Doc

Re: Is Suwinski Part Of The Future

Post by Doc »

Admittedly, my faith in him has begun to waiver. He’s still fairly inexperienced but I’d hoped by now he’d have shown some improvement. He strikes out, especially looking, far too much.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

The Phillies have a lot of good hitters in the lineup. They are in the top half of most offensive categories in the NL. So they can endure Schwarber's .181 BA until he hits a HR or walks. But the Pirates have an anemic offense and struggle to score runs. When Suwinski isn't hitting, it's tough to take up the slack. They need Suwinski to hit more than the Phillies need Schwarber to hit. Suwinski is what he is. Low BA, high Ks, good power and walks a lot. If they can strengthen the rest of the lineup, Suwinski's HRs and walks would be an asset in those infrequent times when he contributes. But he is not the type of hitter who will elevate a weak lineup. He just doesn't hit consistently enough.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

who knows what he will do between now and the end of the season. If he doesn't have another hot streak his stats could up worse than last year.

So far he is a little better than what he did in 2022. IN almost the same amount of at bats he has struck out 18 more times and walked 16 more times than in 2022. He has 6 more doubles and 2 more homers. his batting average on balls in play has risen from 242 to 267.

His 2022 ops was 709 and now it is 789. So he has made a little progress but clearly he needs to make more to keep his spot in the line up. He really only has next season to do it or he is going to start getting too expensive.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Had me fooled, I felt he was going to break out this year. I want to send him down to regroup along with Davis.