Oneil Cruz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wildwoodcoach

Oneil Cruz

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Been reading about his rehab process and it seems he is making very
good progress. Fielding, throwing, batting and running. Running does cause soreness
but they say that is to be expected. Makes me wonder if had been healthy, how many
more wins would the bucs have? Really looking forward to 2024
SammyKhalifa

Re: Oneil Cruz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think the main thing that topedoed the season was three SP options going down basically right from the start of the season.

But yeah, I wonder if we will see him by the end of the season or if they'll errr on the side of caution.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

SammyKhalifa wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:25 pm I think the main thing that topedoed the season was three SP options going down basically right from the start of the season.

But yeah, I wonder if we will see him by the end of the season or if they'll errr on the side of caution.
I think we will see Cruz once the roster expands by two players in September. It would not surprise me if he played more at DH than shortstop.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I hope Cruz doesn`t listen to any coaching from this staff. Very few seem to get better on this team.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have been thinking about Cruz and how he is adapting to centerfield, and his 20 homer and 20 stolen base season. He has done well since his serious leg injury last season. Even with the improvement there have been mental lapses throughout this season. Many times the lapse might be something a boy in Little League would not make. In my opinion he lacks baseball smarts. Notwithstanding the season he has had,should the Pirates consider trading him if they could obtain as many as 3 players who could fill holes on their roster? Not low minor league players, but players who have add success in the Majors. Couple trade examples would be the 1959 trade of Frank Thomas for Hoak, Burgess and Haddix or Tony Peña for Van Slyke, Mike Dunne, and Spanky L. Possibly a return for a outfielder, first baseman and a pitcher. Just a thought!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:56 pm I have been thinking about Cruz and how he is adapting to centerfield, and his 20 homer and 20 stolen base season. He has done well since his serious leg injury last season. Even with the improvement there have been mental lapses throughout this season. Many times the lapse might be something a boy in Little League would not make. In my opinion he lacks baseball smarts. Notwithstanding the season he has had,should the Pirates consider trading him if they could obtain as many as 3 players who could fill holes on their roster? Not low minor league players, but players who have add success in the Majors. Couple trade examples would be the 1959 trade of Frank Thomas for Hoak, Burgess and Haddix or Tony Peña for Van Slyke, Mike Dunne, and Spanky L. Possibly a return for a outfielder, first baseman and a pitcher. Just a thought!
I see the logic to it, but I would not let Cherington engineer such a trade. His track record on trades speaks for itself. Also, the Pirates don't trade for established, productive players because they won't pay them. Salaries were not a big concern when the Thomas trade occurred. And salaries were still affordable for the Pirates when the Pena trade was made. The Pirates would probably trade Cruz for a utility plyer, a relief pitcher and a prospect.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:12 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:56 pm I have been thinking about Cruz and how he is adapting to centerfield, and his 20 homer and 20 stolen base season. He has done well since his serious leg injury last season. Even with the improvement there have been mental lapses throughout this season. Many times the lapse might be something a boy in Little League would not make. In my opinion he lacks baseball smarts. Notwithstanding the season he has had,should the Pirates consider trading him if they could obtain as many as 3 players who could fill holes on their roster? Not low minor league players, but players who have add success in the Majors. Couple trade examples would be the 1959 trade of Frank Thomas for Hoak, Burgess and Haddix or Tony Peña for Van Slyke, Mike Dunne, and Spanky L. Possibly a return for a outfielder, first baseman and a pitcher. Just a thought!
I see the logic to it, but I would not let Cherington engineer such a trade. His track record on trades speaks for itself. Also, the Pirates don't trade for established, productive players because they won't pay them. Salaries were not a big concern when the Thomas trade occurred. And salaries were still affordable for the Pirates when the Pena trade was made. The Pirates would probably trade Cruz for a utility plyer, a relief pitcher and a prospect.
I agree that the Pirates couldn't get much in return. There are no secrets in major league baseball. Other GMs know exactly what kind of player he is, that while his arm and power are top-notch, all other aspects of his game are wanting. Maybe the Pirates could get one good player in return but I wouldn't count on it.
Babe Adams

Post by Babe Adams »

The Pirates won't trade Oneil. They wouldn't pass up a year of frustration over his center field defense.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Despite his issues, I think Cruz has a lot of trade value. The physical tools are freakish and there are always other teams that think they can obtain a player and straighten him out. And maybe they can with Cruz.

I think a competent GM could get a lot for Cruz. But that would require paying the salaries of good players acquired in the deal. The Pirates won’t do that. They probably turned down a lot better trade offers than the ones they accept because of the cost of the players they could acquire. Cherington has a history of trading good players for a bundle of inexpensive ones. That’s why I say he would trade Cruz for something like a relief pitcher, utility player and a prospect.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:37 am Despite his issues, I think Cruz has a lot of trade value. The physical tools are freakish and there are always other teams that think they can obtain a player and straighten him out. And maybe they can with Cruz.

I think a competent GM could get a lot for Cruz. But that would require paying the salaries of good players acquired in the deal. The Pirates won’t do that. They probably turned down a lot better trade offers than the ones they accept because of the cost of the players they could acquire. Cherington has a history of trading good players for a bundle of inexpensive ones. That’s why I say he would trade Cruz for something like a relief pitcher, utility player and a prospect.
How many more years of control do the bucs have? Does last year count?