Henry Davis development as a RF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Henry Davis development as a RF

Post by Possum »

Many folks ask why Henry is not doing more catching considering he was a #1 overall draft pick. Could he platoon with Endy? Okay let him platoon with Endy but where does that leave Endy whom most of us love to see as the everyday catcher? Does Endy sit on the bench when Henry catches? Hell NO! I say to that. Management needs to let them both play every day and live with Henry's problems in the field for now. But they most certainly need to find some sort of OF coach who can teach him the intrinsics of OF play. With Henry's cannon of an arm and his athleticism, he can be a better-than-average OF and get his power bat in the lineup every day.
What do you guys think of this idea?
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Re: Henry Davis development as a RF

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 pm Many folks ask why Henry is not doing more catching considering he was a #1 overall draft pick. Could he platoon with Endy? Okay let him platoon with Endy but where does that leave Endy whom most of us love to see as the everyday catcher? Does Endy sit on the bench when Henry catches? Hell NO! I say to that. Management needs to let them both play every day and live with Henry's problems in the field for now. But they most certainly need to find some sort of OF coach who can teach him the intrinsics of OF play. With Henry's cannon of an arm and his athleticism, he can be a better-than-average OF and get his power bat in the lineup every day.
What do you guys think of this idea?
I think Tarrik Brock is the OF coach.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I totally agree with what you are suggesting. I think the Pirates need both Davis, and Endy in the lineup. Davis does have an exceptional strong arm. He needs some additional teaching on playing the outfield, but he appears to be someone who would be agreeable to instruction. I have heard on talk shows where the hosts have commented that they drafted Davis as 1-1 for catching, but he is not playing that position. Being a #1 draft pick I would hope he can knock the cover off the ball to the point of 30 homers or better, and average about 90 rbi per year. If he does that, he is a successful #1 draft pick in my book.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Brock has to get busy teaching Henry the finer things of playing the OF and start it now.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:59 pm Brock has to get busy teaching Henry the finer things of playing the OF and start it now.
When Bill Virdon was a coach for the Pirates he drilled the OFers relentlessly. Virdon was intense and driven as a player, coach and manager. I don't know how much Brock works with them but Davis would benefit from the kind of coaching Virdon provided. Maybe coaches don't work them hard enough anymore.
There's no basement in the Alamo.