Let's Try for Hill

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Let's Try for Hill

Post by MaineBucs »

Billy Beane continues to underperform as a general manager and the A's are again languishing in the standings in a generally weak AL West Division. Beane, however, continues to be an often unconventional GM.

Thus, I suggest that the Pirates propose a somewhat different type of trade with the A's for Hill, who most regard as one of the best arm's likely available. Hill, despite his recent spat with injury concerns, is having a very good season, he is signed to a very reasonable 1 year deal, and he is a lefty.

My suggestion:

Pirates send Niese to the A's and agree to pay all of his remaining salary except the major league minimum and his option amount. Clearly Niese is no where near the pitcher that Hill is, but perhaps Beane, like the Pirates, is willing to take a risk on his reasonable option amounts for the next 2 years if he starts to perform. Niese also offers Beane some additional flexibility to move him for other talent.

Pirates offer the A's the opportunity to select a total of 3 players from what most would consider the second tier of the Pirates prospects, which would include some nice talent. Prospects on the available list would include:

Position players: Folks like Ramirez, Diaz, Garcia, Hanson, and perhaps Newman. My suggestion keeps the top 5 off the trade list: McGuire, Bell, Meadows, Tucker and Hayes.

Pitchers: No to Glasnow, Tallion, and Kuhl. This leaves some good pitching prospects available; Keller, Holmes and Brault to name a few.

A week ago I would not have considered trading away 3 decent prospects. But --- with the team's improved bullpen performance and some of the younger starters showing some spark, adding a LH pitcher like Hill could be the equivalent of this year's Happ.

Steve19981

Let's Try for Hill

Post by Steve19981 »

I wouldn't move Keller for a rental. He might be one of the 5 best prospects in the system. They can have McGuire today if they'd like him. I'd also sooner trade Kuhl than Brault.

Normally, I'd say three good prospects would be an overpay for Hill, but there should be a pretty big market for him. If they want him, they'll have to pay.
Wrathchild

Let's Try for Hill

Post by Wrathchild »

He looks good this year, but I would have a hard time giving up anything of value for a guy who is 36 years old and has only pitched 570 innings in his career. It seems that he could easily break down at any time.
NCBuccofan

Let's Try for Hill

Post by NCBuccofan »

6F48594A590D0505040D3C0 wrote: I wouldn't move Keller for a rental. He might be one of the 5 best prospects in the system. They can have McGuire today if they'd like him. I'd also sooner trade Kuhl than Brault.

Normally, I'd say three good prospects would be an overpay for Hill, but there should be a pretty big market for him. If they want him, they'll have to pay.

You want to ship off McGuire, and keep Keller? McGuire actually is a top 5 prospect, in AA and only a year older than Keller.

I do not think I would be willing to give up an excellent defensive catcher that has improved his OPS by 100 points YOY for a 36 year old journeyman.