Niese on the block

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Niese on the block

Post by CutchisaBoss »

So, it broke today that the Pirates are trying to shop Niese knowing they're looking at an over crowded rotation in the second half...

It made me pause for a moment and think of all the young arms we have in addition to Cole...

Taillon

Glasnow

Kuhl

Brault

That is a filthy rotation for the next couple years...not to mention, we control Liriano for another year and he can't possibly suck this much for the next 1.5 years.  But, the thing that really made me happy, is I remembered we still have this guy named Kingham too...

It's pretty nice to dream on after watching that pathetic display in June..
Jonathan34

Niese on the block

Post by Jonathan34 »

Trevor Williams too.
NCBuccofan

Niese on the block

Post by NCBuccofan »

496C6D62776B626D3037030 wrote: Trevor Williams too.

Williams, Kuhl and Brault are back of the rotation guys, you have to be pretty optimistic to think more than a 3.

People are talking about Glasnow's control...what if that never changes? Taillon might never be healthy.

As for Niese, maybe we can trade for a starting 2B?
PMike

Niese on the block

Post by PMike »

I wonder if the Mets would be interested in getting Niese back. Harvey is out for the year and they are looking for a SP. Obviously, we aren't trading him back for Walker. However, I'll bet they hold him in high regard and would be optimistic for him to pitch better than he has for them.
kansasfan

Niese on the block

Post by kansasfan »

I would be in favor of putting Niese, Liriano and Locke on the block and take the 2 best offers we can get. Rotation becomes Cole, Taillon, Glasnow, Kuhl and the lefty we don't trade. Brault, Williams and Duncan will be minor league starting depth; and Vogelsong seems like he'll be back soon to be long-relief / 6th starter.

We should probably put Jaso on the block as well to bring up Bell. Normally, I would just bring Bell up and put Jaso on the bench, but with the current bench playing so well (Freese / SRod / Joyce / Frazier plus the obligatory backup catcher), there's no place for Jaso on the bench.

While I really like Jaso (hitting style, attitude, and even playing a good 1B), I believe Bell's offensive upside will more than makeup for any deficiencies in his defense - and we'll still have Freese / SRod to be a defensive sub late in games.

If we can get 1 good AA prospect for each of those guys, that will help restock the minors - which actually still looks pretty decent after "graduating" Taillon, Kuhl, Glasnow, Bell & Frazier in one year. Pretty amazing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Niese on the block

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If the Pirates are making trades, they need to trade to help the 2016 Pirates. They aren't selling. They need to buy.

I am fine with trading Niese and Locke. Liriano would be selling low. I have faith that he can turn around his seasons.

Bell looked good in that one at bat. He is tearing up Triple A too. Tough call, but I am not sure what the Pirates would get for Jaso. If Jaso can bring a back end bullpen arm, I would listen. If not, might be better to move him in the off season.
Steve19981

Niese on the block

Post by Steve19981 »

I think the best trade partners for Niese would be the Orioles and the Red Sox. Both have back ends that are a complete mess and i would take prospects for Niese without question.

Given the point made by Kansas, there is no room for Bell and Jaso. Now, they could send down Frazier, but I like him in his role. We started this conversation on the other board, but I think Jaso would be a great fit for the Astros despite AJ Reed getting called up. He's struggling early, but the Astros could use the depth at the corners even with him on the roster. The Astros also have the perfect return for the Pirates in Pat Neshek.
Wrathchild

Niese on the block

Post by Wrathchild »

I like Jaso and think he has value. The Astros do seem like a good partner as Gattis has not been very good either. Neshek would be a good return. As an aside, I didn't realize just how bad Gomez has been until I just looked at the Astros. That's too bad...
Bobster21

Niese on the block

Post by Bobster21 »

4463726172262E2E2F26170 wrote: I think the best trade partners for Niese would be the Orioles and the Red Sox. Both have back ends that are a complete mess and i would take prospects for Niese without question.

Orioles rotation other than Tillman is a complete disaster. But their farm system is weak. I wonder if the Bucs could get a decent prospect from them.
SammyKhalifa

Niese on the block

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: I think the best trade partners for Niese would be the Orioles and the Red Sox. Both have back ends that are a complete mess and i would take prospects for Niese without question.

Orioles rotation other than Tillman is a complete disaster. But their farm system is weak. I wonder if the Bucs could get a decent prospect from them.

For Jon Niese???