What Do You Want The Bucs To Add At The Trade Deadline?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

After the Bucs recent resurgence I've been hearing some Pittsburgh sports media types crying for the Pirates to acquire starting pitching at the TD to make the run at the playoffs. While I think starting pitching is an obvious need for the Bucs it's not like one can wave a magic wand and somehow make a quality starter available. In fact in a recent thread SammyKhalifa http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 1468003802 linked an article by Jon Heyward describing how few decent starting pitchers are likely to be available.

Personally I'd like to see Taillon, Kuhl, Glasnow and Brault get a real chance to contribute and push our current starters, but none of those guys are finished products by any means and the chances of one or more of them putting together a dominating second half are probably not very good. But they are ours. No need to give up assets to acquire them. Still, trading to get an experienced reliable #3 or #4 starter would help stabilize the rotation. The question is whether one is even available.

I'd love to hear what you forum members here are thinking about what you'd like to see the Bucs do at the TD. I'd really appreciate the specifics. Whether you'd prefer the Bucs to stay pat or make a deal. If you'd like to see a trade made, please explain what you're willing to give up for a specific player (pitcher or position player or both) that you've targeted. Make a case for why the player(s) is available. I'm curious what y'all are thinking.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Good points. Unless they can acquire a starting pitcher who is a difference maker, it seems pointless to give up a prospect. Lots of teams will be shopping pitchers they don't want. No sense replacing a Niese with someone equally questionable. Rather than do that, I'd take my chances with the young guys they already have.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I think the team as constructed can get to the playoffs if things go right, but I don't think we have the top-shelf pitching to go deep. Liriano is no longer a two and it's not reasonable to think Taillon or Glasnow can get to that level this year. Julio Teheran should be available and is controlled for three more years. I'd be willing to give up Meadows and Kuhl to get him. I don't know how close that comes to making a deal, though.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I think most will think some kind of top shelf pitcher and our track record is not to make those kind of trades. So, I guess my approach is with the Bucs typical attitude of not paying out much from our youthful assets, but getting someone with big upside who might respond to Searage's magic touch... so...

The Rays’ Matt Moore has the look of a Buc reclamation candidate. Two years from TJ, could Searage return him to his pre-TJ form? Good strike K/BB rate (8.61 -2.62) -- JA Happ for 2016? – he won’t be as cheap as he has three more club options at $7, $9 and $10 million. But if he doesn’t work out, we’re the ones with flexibility. For:

Alen Hanson a Top-10 Buc prospect who has nowhere to go and has been heating up, and

Steven Brault or Trevor Williams who both look like #4 or #5 starters and seem MLB ready in a crowded pitching prospect system.

We take a chance on a top-flight lefty who was very good pre-injury (and lefties seem to improve at PNC) and TB improves their infield defense and speed and gets a young, controllable MLB replacement pitcher with some upside. Whoever gets him is going to have to give up something good.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

45647178407962716475100 wrote: I think most will think some kind of top shelf pitcher and our track record is not to make those kind of trades. So, I guess my approach is with the Bucs typical attitude of not paying out much from our youthful assets, but getting someone with big upside who might respond to Searage's magic touch... so...

The Rays’ Matt Moore has the look of a Buc reclamation candidate. Two years from TJ, could Searage return him to his pre-TJ form? Good strike K/BB rate (8.61 -2.62) -- JA Happ for 2016? – he won’t be as cheap as he has three more club options at $7, $9 and $10 million. But if he doesn’t work out, we’re the ones with flexibility. For:

Alen Hanson a Top-10 Buc prospect who has nowhere to go and has been heating up, and

Steven Brault or Trevor Williams who both look like #4 or #5 starters and seem MLB ready in a crowded pitching prospect system.

We take a chance on a top-flight lefty who was very good pre-injury (and lefties seem to improve at PNC) and TB improves their infield defense and speed and gets a young, controllable MLB replacement pitcher with some upside. Whoever gets him is going to have to give up something good.

Moore would be interesting but I don't think that they would want/need Hanson. Logan Forsythe looks to be a better player already and TB doesn't have a lot of talent right now. Not sure what the Rays would want but could always ask. From what I remember of trying to deal with them in the past, they ask very high. Their pitching is shaky so would need to give them someone (Brault or better) probably in return.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would suggest they stand pat. There is no worse time for a team to be a buyer than at the trade deadline. You end up paying two or three times what a player is worth. That's how good farm systems get to be bad ones in a very short time.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea I don't think the Pirates really need to go add anybody and have the young arms and young players to stand pat and make a run at a playoff spot. I take that money I am going to save this year at the deadline and go out next season and add a quality starting pitcher to this rotation that can mix in with Cole,Taillon, and Glasnow. That absolutely has to be done. The Pirates have the money to do just that so go out and do it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

496E7F7B7E635C687F7E7E631A0 wrote: I take that money I am going to save this year at the deadline and go out next season and add a quality starting pitcher to this rotation that can mix in with Cole,Taillon, and Glasnow. That absolutely has to be done. The Pirates have the money to do just that so go out and do it.

Yes. But Nutting is Nutting.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

End of the Bullpen type pitcher to mix in with Feliz, Watson, and Melancon.

Veteran Starter for the rotation. 

I think the Bullpen has been a huge weakness.  They had a good stretch at the end of June, but overall I don't know what to expect.

I prefer a known starter than relying on all young guys.  It is a tough call as they do need experience, but this team can win this year too. 

Huntington has been so good at the deadline in getting steals and not giving up the future. Also, the team is set for years so losing a marginal prospect will not hurt.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

414A424E4B4A511412655C444D4A4A0B464A250 wrote: End of the Bullpen type pitcher to mix in with Feliz, Watson, and Melancon.

Veteran Starter for the rotation. 

I think the Bullpen has been a huge weakness.  They had a good stretch at the end of June, but overall I don't know what to expect.

I prefer a known starter than relying on all young guys.  It is a tough call as they do need experience, but this team can win this year too.  Okay so who do the Pirates trade either on the Major League roster now, or in the Minor League's to pick up a quality bullpen arm that can make a difference, and a starting pitcher who can make a difference and help them make the playoffs??