Brooks Pounders

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Brooks Pounders

Post by steve49 »

Anyone see that he got the win last night for KC ? He was our 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft. We traded to KC for not too much in 2012.. Yamaico Navarro. He seemed to really come on in 2016 ( was set back by a TJ surgery in 2013) as he was great at AAA Omaha which is PCL .. very tough pitcher league. Anyway.. nice to see him make it after what looks like was a long tough road.
Piratefanbill

Brooks Pounders

Post by Piratefanbill »

5F58495A4918152C0 wrote: Anyone see that he got the win last night for KC ? He was our 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft. We traded to KC for not too much in 2012.. Yamaico Navarro. He seemed to really come on in 2016 ( was set back by a TJ surgery in 2013) as he was great at AAA Omaha which is PCL .. very tough pitcher league. Anyway.. nice to see him make it after what looks like was a long tough road.

Good for him. Always thought he might be good someday. I guess time just ran.out for him in our organization. With getting more and more depth.
NCBuccofan

Brooks Pounders

Post by NCBuccofan »

Only pitcher from that draft to make the majors...and he was the pick that seemed to be the lowest ceiling.
johnfluharty

Brooks Pounders

Post by johnfluharty »

Bad luck or a bad development program back then, I wonder.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Brooks Pounders

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Vic Black was traded for Marlon Byrd. Not sure what happened to him?

Phil Irwin made two starts (one with the Pirates). Not sure why he never got another chance.

Dodson, Von Rosenberg, and Cain were highly recruited players. Stevenson was a college pitcher. I thought they were good picks at the time based on their recruiting from major colleges.
steve49

Brooks Pounders

Post by steve49 »

040F070B0E0F145157201901080F0F4E030F600 wrote: Vic Black was traded for Marlon Byrd.  Not sure what happened to him?

Phil Irwin made two starts (one with the Pirates).  Not sure why he never got another chance.

Dodson, Von Rosenberg, and Cain were highly recruited players.  Stevenson was a college pitcher. I thought they were good picks at the time based on their recruiting from major colleges.

Black pitched OK for the Mets in 2014. he had both neck and shoulder injuries that limited him to around 35 innings with Mets . They shut him down for season in late September of 2014. He rehabbed in the minors in 2015 and had an ERA of almost 6. It was said he didn't regain his velocity. The Mets dropped him from the 40 man roster in Sept of 2015. He opted for free agency . The only pitching he appears to have done since then is a coupe innings in the Dominican winter league . Looks like just another guy that couldn't make it and injuries finished him off. Still pretty young as he just turned 28.
NCBuccofan

Brooks Pounders

Post by NCBuccofan »

474245434B4158454C5F59542D0 wrote: Bad luck or a bad development program back then, I wonder.

Most of the scouts are not longer with the team.
rucker59@gmail.com

Brooks Pounders

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

313A323E3B3A216462152C343D3A3A7B363A550 wrote: Vic Black was traded for Marlon Byrd.  Not sure what happened to him?

Phil Irwin made two starts (one with the Pirates).  Not sure why he never got another chance.

Dodson, Von Rosenberg, and Cain were highly recruited players.  Stevenson was a college pitcher. I thought they were good picks at the time based on their recruiting from major colleges.

The 1st pick was a big Q (and ultimately a fail) but I really liked that draft. But not one player made the Pirates roster. How did the Pirates build such a deep farm system with a totally lost year?!
NCBuccofan

Brooks Pounders

Post by NCBuccofan »

383F29212F387F730A2D272B2326642925274A0 wrote: Vic Black was traded for Marlon Byrd.  Not sure what happened to him?

The 1st pick was a big Q (and ultimately a fail) but I really liked that draft.  But not one player made the Pirates roster.  How did the Pirates build such a deep farm system with a totally lost year?!

Trades, Domincan and they fired all the scouts.
Steve19981

Brooks Pounders

Post by Steve19981 »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: Vic Black was traded for Marlon Byrd.  Not sure what happened to him?

ZVR was all about projection and he never really reached it.

Dodson's still kicking around but he's hurt IIRC. Could still be a bullpen piece but who knows.

Cain was the biggest surprise as he completely flamed out in A ball.