Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Since the Sox made this trade today I wonder if that will put pressure on the Orioles to add pitching. I would hope the Bucs contact the Birds about Niese or even Locke. I have read that the Orioles farm system is not rated very high, but I am sure there are some prospects which the Bucs may want to acquire.
Steve19981

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by Steve19981 »

Pretty good deal both ways from what I can tell.
NCBuccofan

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by NCBuccofan »

444849121B121A17100F15220 wrote: Since the Sox made this trade today I wonder if that will put pressure on the Orioles to add pitching. I would hope the Bucs contact the Birds about Niese or even Locke. I have read that the Orioles farm system is not rated very high, but I am sure there are some prospects which the Bucs may want to acquire.

They have shown interest in Liriano.

We would not be getting top prospects for any of those pitchers anyways, so the fact that the O's have only one top prospect really does not matter. The Pirates are not getting Hunter Harvey for any of those guys.

They do have some arms with some talent, Chris Lee, Tanner Scott, Jason Garcia. Most of their bats are one dimensional that the Pirates seem to not use.

Anderson Espinoza immediately becomes the Padres best prospect. Interestingly, 5 of the Padres top 8 prospects were drafted or signed by the Red Sox (Hunter Renfroe did not sign).

On a side note, a Drew Pomeranz for Neil Walker trade would have been nice, especially since we would have likely got something else as well.
AdrianBrown

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by AdrianBrown »

If Espinoza is the price of a controllable arm then the Pirates have no business getting in that market. Espinoza is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and possibly an ace in the making.

What a great series of transactions for the Padres who picked up Pomeranz in the off-season for Yonder Alonso and a bullpen arm. If we would have traded Walker for Pomeranz in the off-season I'm thinking most in baseball would have thought we got ripped off and now he nets a top prospect. Just shows how quickly things can change.

I still wish we would have flipped Walker for a couple of prospects. This morning on the radio I heard NH basically admit that that was the better move in hindsight.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I thought Pomeranz would be a good target for the Pirates. I am sure many teams wanted him.

This trade might get the ball rolling. I can see Niese being traded, but not Liriano.
NCBuccofan

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by NCBuccofan »

60455348404F63534E564F210 wrote: If Espinoza is the price of a controllable arm then the Pirates have no business getting in that market.  Espinoza is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and possibly an ace in the making. 

What a great series of transactions for the Padres who picked up Pomeranz in the off-season for Yonder Alonso and a bullpen arm.  If we would have traded Walker for Pomeranz in the off-season I'm thinking most in baseball would have thought we got ripped off and now he nets a top prospect.  Just shows how quickly things can change. 

I still wish we would have flipped Walker for a couple of prospects.  This morning on the radio I heard NH basically admit that that was the better move in hindsight.

Most thought we got ripped off with Niese, so who cares?

NH admitted not long after adding Niese that he was not the pitcher they wanted and hoped he would surprise him.

Espinosa is 18 in A ball, pitching in the bullpen. He is a great young arm, but very far away. Plus the Pirates do not have to trade for a young controllable arm. They need rotation help badly. Trade for the next Burnett or Happ.
NCBuccofan

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by NCBuccofan »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: I thought Pomeranz would be a good target for the Pirates.  I am sure many teams wanted him. 

This trade might get the ball rolling.  I can see Niese being traded, but not Liriano.

A team has showed interest in a player, you do not see him being moved, but a player that no one would want, you see moved?
AdrianBrown

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by AdrianBrown »

6469685F4949454C4B442A0 wrote: If Espinoza is the price of a controllable arm then the Pirates have no business getting in that market.  Espinoza is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and possibly an ace in the making. 

What a great series of transactions for the Padres who picked up Pomeranz in the off-season for Yonder Alonso and a bullpen arm.  If we would have traded Walker for Pomeranz in the off-season I'm thinking most in baseball would have thought we got ripped off and now he nets a top prospect.  Just shows how quickly things can change. 

I still wish we would have flipped Walker for a couple of prospects.  This morning on the radio I heard NH basically admit that that was the better move in hindsight.

NH admitted not long after adding Niese that he was not the pitcher they wanted and hoped he would surprise him.

Espinosa is 18 in A ball, pitching in the bullpen.  He is a great young arm, but very far away.  Plus the Pirates do not have to trade for a young controllable arm.  They need rotation help badly.  Trade for the next Burnett or Happ.

Actually Espinoza hasn't pitched out of the bullpen at all this year. Only 17 starts. I don't think the Pirates have to trade for a controllable arm. All I said was that if that is the price of the controllable arms then the Pirates should stay away, hence instead focus on rentals.

Not sure what your point is regarding Pomeranz. My point is that most pundits would not have put Pomeranz in a starting rotation coming into the year and the Padres were able to turn him around and turn him into a great trade asset. Good for them. I don't like Niese and didn't like the pickup then either. I think we would agree on that.
AdrianBrown

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by AdrianBrown »

515C5D6A7C7C70797E711F0 wrote: I thought Pomeranz would be a good target for the Pirates.  I am sure many teams wanted him. 

This trade might get the ball rolling.  I can see Niese being traded, but not Liriano.

A team has showed interest in a player, you do not see him being moved, but a player that no one would want, you see moved?

Yea, I actually think the chances of Niese getting traded are higher than Liriano. Are you thinking it is the reverse? I don't think the Pirates will get anything of substance for Niese if they trade him, but I can't imagine they trade Liriano, thus Niese is a higher probability in my mind.
NCBuccofan

Red Sox acquire Pomeranz

Post by NCBuccofan »

61445249414E62524F574E200 wrote: If Espinoza is the price of a controllable arm then the Pirates have no business getting in that market.  Espinoza is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and possibly an ace in the making. 

Espinosa is 18 in A ball, pitching in the bullpen.  He is a great young arm, but very far away.  Plus the Pirates do not have to trade for a young controllable arm.  They need rotation help badly.  Trade for the next Burnett or Happ.

Actually Espinoza hasn't pitched out of the bullpen at all this year.  Only 17 starts.  I don't think the Pirates have to trade for a controllable arm.  All I said was that if that is the price of the controllable arms then the Pirates should stay away, hence instead focus on rentals.

Not sure what your point is regarding Pomeranz.  My point is that most pundits would not have put Pomeranz in a starting rotation coming into the year and the Padres were able to turn him around and turn him into a great trade asset. Good for them.  I don't like Niese and didn't like the pickup then either.  I think we would agree on that.

Not sure what I was looking at there, you are right, he has started all year in A ball.

I still do not agree that the price of controllable arms is set. Pomeranz has the pedigree of at top 5 pick that seemed to figure it out, with 3 cheap years left, left handed power pitcher, and has a legit looking season. It would be like trading Cole. There are many controllable pitchers that can be added.

All I said about Pomeranz is that it was a miss by the Pirates not to be smart enough to trade for him.