David Freese @ Matt Joyce

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Both on one year contracts I believe, wonder what it would take to keep them around for another year. Seem to be great guys to have on your team!
Quail

Post by Quail »

Yes, they've both been terrific for the Bucs. Wouldn't mind having both come back for another year. If they can only keep one of them I'd keep Freese because of the uncertainty about Kang's legal situation.

My guess is they won't keep either one because of their cost. Neither Freese nor Joyce is coming back at the same bargain price that they're playing for this year.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Theyre both going to be starting somewhere next year. Almost no chance we resign them. Good finds for this year though. Too bad none of the pitchers worked out at all.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The one thing that has gone right for the Bucs this year is the performance of the bench. This is in my opinion the strongest bench that the Pirates have had in decades. I would like to see the FO work out deals to keep Freese, Joyce, Serpico even if it means giving them 3 year contracts.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

694C4F4F5A714C444651230 wrote: The one thing that has gone right for the Bucs this year is the performance of the bench. This is in my opinion the strongest bench that the Pirates have had in decades. I would like to see the FO work out deals to keep Freese, Joyce, Serpico even if it means giving them 3 year contracts.

That would be great. But it's not how this penny-pinching organization operates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: The one thing that has gone right for the Bucs this year is the performance of the bench. This is in my opinion the strongest bench that the Pirates have had in decades. I would like to see the FO work out deals to keep Freese, Joyce, Serpico even if it means giving them 3 year contracts.

That would be great. But it's not how this penny-pinching organization operates.

S-Rod was only one of three Pirates went after early. Joyce and Freese only because no one wanted them until close to spring training.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just looked at Matt Joyce's stats over the past 30 games, and he is hitting .246. Since Adam Frazier has been playing well in part time duty, and now we hear that Josh Bell may start playing a little outfield, maybe the time is right to move Joyce for a prospect the Bucs could use in the future. Maybe a trade like the one when they moved Snider to the O's.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

535A52434D370 wrote: Theyre both going to be starting somewhere next year.   Almost no chance we resign them.   Good finds for this year though.   Too bad none of the pitchers worked out at all.

Pretty much. Even if they do not find starting jobs, both would be getting multi year deals for more than the Pirates would give to support players.

Only way Joyce would be back is if McCutchen is traded.

Only way Freese is back is if Kang is suspended (and then released).
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: Just looked at Matt Joyce's stats over the past 30 games, and he is hitting .246. Since Adam Frazier has been playing well in part time duty, and now we hear that Josh Bell may start playing a little outfield, maybe the time is right to move Joyce for a prospect the Bucs could use in the future. Maybe a trade like the one when they moved Snider to the O's.

Only 60 ABs. Still an OPS of .750. Obviously he is not going to OPS 1.000 for the season. He does have 20 Ks in that time tho, so that is not very good.

His problems are actually more recent, going 1 for his last 16. Since July 4th his batting average has fallen over 30 points.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

47626161745F626A687F0D0 wrote: The one thing that has gone right for the Bucs this year is the performance of the bench. This is in my opinion the strongest bench that the Pirates have had in decades. I would like to see the FO work out deals to keep Freese, Joyce, Serpico even if it means giving them 3 year contracts.

I am sure Rodriguez will be back. Not really sure he should be, but I doubt he goes anywhere else.