catcher.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

catcher.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Eric Fryer with a good night.

This catching situation could have been a disaster.
CutchisaBoss

catcher.

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Gotta thank those clowns in STL for that gift
LumberCo

catcher.

Post by LumberCo »

any idea how Elias Diaz is progressing? I think he is back on a rehad assignment, was hoping to see him sometime in the second half.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

catcher.

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Fryer has played well. Not sure why Harrison pinched hit for him today, but he has been a good surprise.

When is Cervelli due back?
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: Eric Fryer with a good night.

It was a disaster. NH was ill prepared, and was caught with his pants down again.

Got lucky again.
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

083129262136072B440 wrote: any idea how Elias Diaz is progressing?  I think he is back on a rehad assignment, was hoping to see him sometime in the second half.

2-10 in his rehab so far. 3 walks as well. Fryer obviously should be getting the bulk of the time until Cervelli is healthy or they call up Diaz. The rest are all junk.

Fryer is obviously poor defensively...not Ryan Doumit bad, but maybe like McKenry. His offense potential gives him more value over Stewart.
SammyKhalifa

catcher.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1419182F3939353C3B345A0 wrote: Eric Fryer with a good night.

It was a disaster.  NH was ill prepared, and was caught with his pants down again.

Got lucky again.

It was three injuries in series.  You can only stash extra catchers in so many places. It wasn't that long ago that people were complaining about the Stewart signing as unnecessary because we have so many catchers. 
NCBuccofan

catcher.

Post by NCBuccofan »

1C2E22223604272E2326292E4F0 wrote: Eric Fryer with a good night.

It was a disaster.  NH was ill prepared, and was caught with his pants down again.

Got lucky again.

It was three injuries in series.  You can only stash extra catchers in so many places.  It wasn't that long ago that people were complaining about the Stewart signing as unnecessary because we have so many catchers. 

Diaz was hurt in March. They had no major league backup in AAA. I am not expecting someone to come in and be a seamless replacement, but the best you can do is a 36 year old journeyman that 3 teams discarded this year?

Signing Stewart for this year or the two more years they have him? Diaz should be the backup next year, so he is unneeded.
SammyKhalifa

catcher.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

But as we can see, catchers are always in demand so even if he isn't needed it's not like it's an un-movable contract.

Sorry, I'm having a hard time faulting them much on this one. What team has good options at 3-4 in their depth charts?
dmetz

catcher.

Post by dmetz »

I know this might be seen as nuts, but looking at Fryers limited lines in the majors, his extensive minor league work and his athleticism, I would seriously consider releasing Stewart and holding Fryer if a roster crunch made that a choice.

I realize he's just hot with the bat right now, but he's more athletic than Stewart and it appears based on his history that he's got a decent bat on him when given the opportunity.

Maybe bury Stewart on extended rehab until Sept roster expansion if Cervelli and Stewart both come available prior to that. Obviously, Kratz is out of a job if only one of them come off the DL prior to that.