Huntington radio show yesterday...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Listening to Huntington's radio show yesterday you could kind of tell he wanted to say to the fans "Hey I told you that Glasnow wasn't ready and nobody listened". His tone came off that way if anybody listened to his show with Greg Brown. Well that's all fine and good but it's not the fans job to know if Glasnow is ready or not, and it's Neal Huntington's job and the Minor League peoples jobs to know. It's not the fans job to prepare just incase he wasn't ready and go out and sign an established pitcher it's Neal Huntington and the front offices job. So to sit there yesterday on his radio show and have sort of an "I told you so" kind of an attitude really got on my nerves.  This is what you get when you sign garbage in the offseason and then expect prospects to come in in the middle of the season and save the rotation.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Nah, if I were him I'd probably do the same thing. Not to say that he wasn't also wrong about getting another pitcher; but armchair quarterbacks everywhere think that they, lacking any information whatsoever except for what they "know", are sure that they know better than what people who you know actually get paid to do this sort of thing know. Yeah, the management is dumb and everyone else knows everything.

I mean, you shouldn't come out and say that, and I didn't hear the show yesterday to know how much of that attitude actually leaked through, but I'm sure every GM in every sport is thinking it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4F7D71716557747D70757A7D1C0 wrote: Nah, if I were him I'd probably do the same thing.  Not to say that he wasn't also wrong about getting another pitcher; but armchair quarterbacks everywhere think that they, lacking any information whatsoever except for what they "know", are sure that they know better than what people who you know actually get paid to do this sort of thing know.  Yeah, the management is dumb and everyone else knows everything.

I mean, you shouldn't come out and say that, and I didn't hear the show yesterday to know how much of that attitude actually leaked through, but I'm sure every GM in every sport is thinking it. 

I agree. The fans just see some stats and the high prospect status, and Huntington was being called an "idiot" for not bringing him up sooner and kept saying he wasn't ready.

Huntington also admitted he didn't do a very good job in securing the rotation (Niese trade was bad). He also thinks Liriano will turn around his season.

This is a big stretch of games coming up against some weak teams. They can really pull away and move up in the standings. Personally, I am not worried. But come August 8th, that could change depending on their record.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

well if Glasnow wasn't ready, why has he been up to start 2 games?

Maybe he was most ready of anyone available in the system.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Yes he was probably the best candidate to fill that open rotation spot on Saturday. He just did not look comfortable out there. I hope the injury is nothing serious. I still believe he will become the pitcher we all expected.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

Maybe his 2 starts were this way due to injury. Maybe not.

I can say that when I've seen him pitch, I've seen spotty command. Not unlike what he's shown in the majors, he's just been exposed by better hitters. Not many people who have actually watched him pitch should be surprised.

The people who are surprised are the people who look at the stats and say ' this guy is unbelievable, Huntingtons an idiot. We need Glasnow in this rotation right now!' Those are also the people who should be noting that there's a flaw in their thinking. However, I'm fully aware those are the same people who clambered for Polanco early, etc. those people never seem to learn that there's more than just stats that go into this.

All of that said, I still expect Glasnow to be an excellent major league starting pitcher. It's just not going to be this year. Might not even be next year. Be patient.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D786F7C2A5B58190 wrote: Maybe his 2 starts were this way due to injury. Maybe not.

I can say that when I've seen him pitch, I've seen spotty command. Not unlike what he's shown in the majors, he's just been exposed by better hitters. Not many people who have actually watched him pitch should be surprised.

The people who are surprised are the people who look at the stats and say ' this guy is unbelievable, Huntingtons an idiot. We need Glasnow in this rotation right now!' Those are also the people who should be noting that there's a flaw in their thinking. However, I'm fully those are the same people who clambered for Polanco early, etc. those people never seem to learn that there's more than just stats that go into this.

All of that said, I still expect Glasnow to be an excellent major league starting pitcher. It's just not going to be this year. Might not even be next year. Be patient.

Yeah, I think he'll still be good. Hopefully some of that bomb of an outing was due to the "discomfort." Also hopefully that "discomfort" doesn't turn into the dreaded "forearm tightness."

I guess the whole "call him up yesterday" thing wouldn't have annoyed me as much if we hadn't seen the same exact thing every single time we've gotten close to getting one of these touted prospects.

I mean seriously, every single time. It's like we totally forget what happened last time and react the same exact way.

Quail

Post by Quail »

I didn't hear Huntington's show, but I give him plus marks for candor for having admitted recently that his trade for Niese was not a good one. If his evaluation of Glasnow is correct that makes him 1 for 2.

I felt at the beginning of the season that it would be great to have Glasnow get another year at AAA to work out the kinks with his change up and his control (I didn't know how ineffective he is at holding runners or I would have been thinking that's another thing for him to work on as well).

As the season progressed with the starting rotation having troubles from #1 thru #5, I thought that Glasnow should be given a shot to replace Niese or Locke who are clearly marginal MLB pitchers. After all how much worse could Glasnow be than either of those two? Well so far he hasn't been an improvement. He's not ready for prime time.

If Huntington is happy about being right about Glasnow I'd say that's unfortunate. I would think he'd be a lot happier if he were wrong about him. I know I would be.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: Maybe his 2 starts were this way due to injury. Maybe not.

The people who are surprised are the people who look at the stats and say ' this guy is unbelievable, Huntingtons an idiot. We need Glasnow in this rotation right now!' Those are also the people who should be noting that there's a flaw in their thinking. However, I'm fully those are the same people who clambered for Polanco early, etc. those people never seem to learn that there's more than just stats that go into this.

Yeah, I think he'll still be good.  Hopefully some of that bomb of an outing was due to the "discomfort."  Also hopefully that "discomfort" doesn't turn into the dreaded "forearm tightness." 

I guess the whole "call him up yesterday" thing wouldn't have annoyed me as much if we hadn't seen the same exact thing every single time we've gotten close to getting one of these touted prospects. 

I mean seriously, every single time.  It's like we totally forget what happened last time and react the same exact way. 

Yeah, it's tiring. I'm also tired of the whole 'time to throw in the towel' motto in May, followed by the 'let's go all in, call up the prospects and trade for every big name while DFAing anybody who's gone cold in the past month' mentality in July. It's resulted in me not posting as much, that's for sure. It's the same arguments every year. And every year for the past 3 here we are contending...
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Well I mean it's also part of the fun, but people should keep in mind more that we dont have all information . . .