One Week Remains for Trading Deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We all post, or discuss player or players whom the Bucs should or could acquire, but let's see who the Bucs might be able to acquire if they proposed this package of players in a trade. If the Pirates offered Hanson, Ramirez, and Reese McGuire, do you think they could get a # 2 starting pitcher who is controllable for a few years, or is that not enough to get such a pitcher.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

When I saw the story on MLB Trade Rumors that the Rays would want both Meadows and Glasnow, or two top 15 prospects, for Archer, my answer would be NO.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If we could acquire Archer for the three guys I suggested in my post I would make that trade asap.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

And, in looking at what the Cubs just traded for Chapman, who is a rental, their #1 prospect, a top 5 prospect, a decent reliever, and another player, there is no way that the package you suggested would be considered by the Rays as enough for Archer.

I am not criticizing your proposal, simply noting that the current market appears to be dictating that much more would be needed for Archer.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

547870777C5B6C7A6A190 wrote: And, in looking at what the Cubs just traded for Chapman, who is a rental, their #1 prospect, a top 5 prospect, a decent reliever, and another player, there is no way that the package you suggested would be considered by the Rays as enough for Archer.

I am not criticizing your proposal, simply noting that the current market appears to be dictating that much more would be needed for Archer. 

And knowing that I'd be tempted to see what the feelings are about Melancon.
Quail

Post by Quail »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: And, in looking at what the Cubs just traded for Chapman, who is a rental, their #1 prospect, a top 5 prospect, a decent reliever, and another player, there is no way that the package you suggested would be considered by the Rays as enough for Archer.

And knowing that I'd be tempted to see what the feelings are about Melancon.

Now that's an interesting thought.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree they should see what Melancon could fetch. The only downside is if the Bucs are still only three back from Wild Card will the players feel FO is throwing in the towel for this season. We could see another collapse like in 2012.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3C30316A636A626F68776D5A0 wrote: I agree they should see what Melancon could fetch. The only downside is if the Bucs are still only three back from Wild Card will the players feel FO is throwing in the towel for this season.  We could see another collapse like in 2012.

Yeah I don't even know if I'd end up doing it. I think I'd have to shop around and see though.
PMike

Post by PMike »

133F37303B1C2B3D2D5E0 wrote: And, in looking at what the Cubs just traded for Chapman, who is a rental, their #1 prospect, a top 5 prospect, a decent reliever, and another player, there is no way that the package you suggested would be considered by the Rays as enough for Archer.

- Across MLB, closers are WAY overvalued. Fortunately, the Pirates don't seem to buy into that idea.

- Chapman is (or at least can be) the most dominant closer in baseball. He does something that is worth the price of admission.

- Archer was an ace last year, but is really struggling this year. They can't expect to get ace return for a guy with a >4.50 ERA.

- I actually think the reported return the Yankees got for Chapman is about right for Archer.
mouse

Post by mouse »

In any discussion of trades there are always two real avenues of consideration - what we think the team shoulddo and what we think they (NH, etc.) actually will do. I have no thoughts on whether they should trade Melancon (I guess I'd lean against it - I think they tried last off-season but didn't get any decent offers), but I really don't see them actually doing it. Trading a key figure tends to have a real negative impact across the board. About two years ago Oakland was in good shape in the AL West when they decided to trade their power hitter (who was in last year of contract). The team just collapsed afterwards. I just don't think they do it.