7/27 Game Thread Cole versus Mariners...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Another big game tonight I feel for the Pirates. Ending this homestand at 5-3 is a lot better then just treading water and going 4-4. The Pirates really need Cole to be good tonight and to put his foot down and at least get a split in this series before heading out on the road this weekend. The Pirates still are 2.5 games out of a wildcard spot and continue to hang in there. But eventually they gotta start stacking more then just 2 wins in a row together. This little trend they are having of win one lose one is not going to work here in the long run.

Ill keep saying it I still wish they would bring Josh Bel up at some point. I thought Hurdle's explanation of saying that Jaso's defense at 1st base at this point is better then Bell's defense which is why he isn't up here was very weak. That is the thing that is frustrating with this team is that they have players that can help them be a better team and they just continue to sit back and do nothing.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Unfortunately, that's the same thing we were saying when we thought Glasnow was ready and the team was too slow-witted to recognize it. Maybe Bell's defense isn't quite ready. Or maybe they trade Jaso for something and Bell's defense suddenly gets better. In the end, though, we may have to recognize that Hurdle and NH do have an idea where their players stand and just go with the flow.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

Different lineup everyday, but same player batting 3rd....

Mercer SS

Freese 1B

McCutchen CF

Marte LF

Kang 3B

Cervelli C

Rodriguez RF

Harrison 2B

Cole P

Let's Go Bucs!
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The team went 1 for 13 with runners in scoring position last night. They had multiple opportunities to get a runner in from third with no outs and failed miserably. Try a safety squeeze or something for crying out loud. Oh ya I forgot that nobody knows how to bunt. One change I would definitely make is to sit Cutch. Put the hot bat Frazier in the OF
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6A5A564D4D505774584A4A390 wrote: Different lineup everyday, but same player batting 3rd....

Mercer SS

Freese 1B

McCutchen CF

Marte LF

Kang 3B

Cervelli C

Rodriguez RF

Harrison 2B

Cole P

Let's Go Bucs!

Yep it's starting to get old. Cutch needs to be moved down or sit him down. He is really hurting the team hitting 3rd.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

47455F594F2A0 wrote: Unfortunately, that's the same thing we were saying when we thought Glasnow was ready and the team was too slow-witted to recognize it. Maybe Bell's defense isn't quite ready. Or maybe they trade Jaso for something and Bell's defense suddenly gets better. In the end, though, we may have to recognize that Hurdle and NH do have an idea where their players stand and just go with the flow. That might be true but we can't just assume that just because Glasnow fell flat on his face that the same thing will automatically be true about Bell. If they want to keep playing John Jaso who has turned into Lyle Overbay part II then the Pirates can continue to weaken their lineup that much more.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Just win baby!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is where Cole has to be better.

He's clearly not an elite No. 1.

Problem is, I'm not even sure he's a regular No. 1 right now.

I would say a typical Cole outing, when he's going good, is 6 or 7 innings while allowing 2 or 3 runs.

That's fine, but it's just not good enough.

He needs to mature into the shut-down No. 1 starter that we all thought he would be.

I hope that starts tonight.

Giving up 2 runs and hitting 100 pitches in 5.2 innings -- which feels like a typical Cole outing these days -- just isn't good enough.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Don't like Polanco being out of the lineup after he had 4 hits last night. Don't care if there is a lefty on the mound or not. Polanco should be and needs to be playing everyday. No need to give these kinds of players rest when they have 2 off days this week and another off day coming up on Monday.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4163706D6E6B6C63407761616D020 wrote: This is where Cole has to be better.

He's clearly not an elite No. 1.

Problem is, I'm not even sure he's a regular No. 1 right now.

I would say a typical Cole outing, when he's going good, is 6 or 7 innings while allowing 2 or 3 runs.

That's fine, but it's just not good enough.

He needs to mature into the shut-down No. 1 starter that we all thought he would be.

I hope that starts tonight.

Giving up 2 runs and hitting 100 pitches in 5.2 innings -- which feels like a typical Cole outing these days -- just isn't good enough.

I've been critical and agree with everything you said. But through 3 Garrett looks great. Low pitch count included. This is the guy we were hoping for and badly need.