Marlins to acquire Cashner

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Looks like Marlins have a deal in place to acquire Andrew Cashner. Appears Marlins want to remain in Wild Card hunt.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Would rather have Matt Moore anyway so not that big of a deal.
windy

Post by windy »

i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

They gave up their first rounder (plus more guys I guess, details still coming out)
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Rae also.

It will be interesting to see what they gave up.  Marlins all in.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

17090E0419600 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
Some teams can trade prospects and fill the resulting holes via free agency. The Pirates don't spend for impact players via free agency. So they are unlikely to make a significant trade involving top prospects. Whether by necessity or choice, Pirate moves are dictated by money more than most teams. So I expect them to sit this trade deadline out.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I don't think Cashner is worth a first round pick. He is also a free agent at the end of the season. A first round pick for a two month rental, don't like it!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.
Some teams can trade prospects and fill the resulting holes via free agency. The Pirates don't spend for impact players via free agency. So they are unlikely to make a significant trade involving top prospects. Whether by necessity or choice, Pirate moves are dictated by money more than most teams. So I expect them to sit this trade deadline out.

Besides all of that, it's not like Cashner is having some kind of lights-out season. He's sporting a 4.76 ERA along with a WHIP just short of 1.4. He's been good in the past though (just not this year or last year). Would that be something you'd blow a high draft choice on?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

082F3E3A3F221D293E3F3F225B0 wrote: Would rather have Matt Moore anyway so not that big of a deal.

I disagree. I was counting on the Fish to fade the last two months. They're making moves to win.

Good moves? We'll see.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: i guess management doesn't  think this Pirate team has any holes. hmmm : just sit back and watch what everyone else does to try to improve.

This needs to change over the course of the next 2 years or so when I expect the Pirates to truly have a chance to compete and win a World Series. They are either going to have to go out in the offseason in free agency and go get a good number 2-3 starter in the rotation to go along with the young guys like Taillon and Glasnow, or they are going to have to go deal for somebody at the deadline. This organization has the money to go out and do those kinds of things and go all in. It's time they start doing it in the next year or so. This is where we will truly find out if Bob Nutting and management is truly committed to winning a World Series and doing whatever is necessary to do so.