Nova starts 8/6

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova starts 8/6

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Nova off to a good start. Got first two guys out easily.

Votto drove one deep to center as I post this.

But all strikes so far.
Bobster21

Nova starts 8/6

Post by Bobster21 »

Good to see that Jaso learned a valuable lesson by starting every game after refusing to run to 1B on his DP grounder. ::)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova starts 8/6

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Good to see that Jaso learned a valuable lesson by starting every game after refusing to run to 1B on his DP grounder.   ::)

Kang isn't allowed to play three games in a row. So, Jaso has to play.

I do like he is not leading off. Second game in a row where Marte is in front of McCutchen. I wanted that to happen all season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Nova starts 8/6

No excuse for Nova not advancing to third on Harrison's hit high off the right field fence.

I know he has probably never been on the bases before, but he has watched so many games. Once the fielder turned his back, he should have been running.

Luckily a passed ball and a hit by Marte scored him and Harrison.
Ecbucs

Nova starts 8/6

Post by Ecbucs »

always nice to beat the Reds!
skinnyhorse

Nova starts 8/6

Post by skinnyhorse »

Refreshing to see a pitcher throw strikes. I get so tired of getting behind hitters and either walking them or having to bring it right down the middle. It cost him a couple of times but his pitch count for 7 innings was 76 that's out standing. After watching Liriano, Locke, struggle to throw strikes this was fantastic hope we don't teach him how the Pirate pitchers pitch. Cutch hit the ball hard 3 times tonight that was also good to see.
BucAndEer

Nova starts 8/6

Post by BucAndEer »

Don't look now but the Bucs are minutes away from being just 2 games back of the 2nd wild card. Rockies up 12-4 on the Fish in the 8th.
rucker59@gmail.com

Nova starts 8/6

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

283032353522333429283E5B0 wrote: Refreshing to see a pitcher throw strikes.  I get so tired of getting behind hitters and either walking them or having to bring it right down the middle.  It cost him a couple of times but his pitch count for 7 innings was 76 that's out standing.  After watching Liriano, Locke, struggle to throw strikes this was fantastic hope we don't teach him how the Pirate pitchers pitch.  Cutch hit the ball hard 3 times tonight that was also good to see.

Best game by the Pirates in a long time.  A lot of good ABs, good defense and generally very good pitching.  Nova got hit very hard but otherwise pitched a very encouraging game. 

His running blunder was actually kind of funny.  You could tell he was clueless.  I wondered where the 1st base coach was at?

Cutch hit better but allowed a batter to turn a single into a double.

Tremendous play by Kung very likely saved the game, in the 8th.

And to top it all off - the Marlins are getting crushed and the Cardinals and Mets have both lost.  So, the Pirates finally catch the Mets and will be 2 games behind the Fish and Cardinals.  Crazy.
rucker59@gmail.com

Nova starts 8/6

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

063127052A20012136440 wrote: Don't look now but the Bucs are minutes away from being just 2 games back of the 2nd wild card. Rockies up 12-4 on the Fish in the 8th.

Yep - you beat me to it - a HUGE night for the Pirates.
CarolinaBucco

Nova starts 8/6

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Couple of thoughts:

* Nova threw a total of 20 balls in 7 innings. Amazing. He really pounded the strike zone. I know he's not that good ... but at least for one night he was. So refreshing to watch.

* Kang's play SAVED THE GAME. It's as simple as that. He doesn't make that play, and the Reds cut the lead to 5-4 and have 2nd and 3rd with no outs with Cozart and Votta due up. Feliz would have blown. Instead, Kang save him and the game.

* Joyce has scuffled this weekend and we need to get Polanco back in the lineup.

* J-Hay has had an outstanding series -- both at the plate and with the glove.