8/17 Game Thread Super Nova Giant Killer....

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Wow what a finish last night and what a roadtrip so far at 4-1. I'd like to see Watson not be so shaky everytime in this closer role but at the end of the day a win is a win. The Bucs are now tied with the Marlins in the wildcard race and remain a game back of the Cards who won last night. If Cutch and Kang are back which it appears both might be then that does change everything for the remainder of the season. This team is so different when both of these guys are hitting you can just see it. Need to get Cole going again as he has another huge start on Friday against the Fish.

I'm anxious to see if Nova once again today can keep pitching well and throwing strikes and getting big outs. Boy you would love a win today and a sweep. You will take 4-2 any day of the week on a 6 game trip out West. A 5-1 record would be phenomenal.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I call these "house money" games. They're 4-1 on the trip out West and have already won both series. So it's a success regardless of today's result. But man 5-1 and a sweep in SF would be sweet.

As for Nova, I have been very impressed with his ability to throw strikes. However I almost think he's throwing too many strikes -- just throwing strike after strike at 93 mph will you get hit pretty hard in this league, and he was very fortunate vs. the Dodgers. Perhaps he needs to be, not wild, but a little more "unpredictable." Even if he gets hit today, I'm hoping the Pirates offense can stay hot and score runs vs. Cain.

Like others posted last night ... if Cutch really is back, and if Kang is becoming Kang again, then this is a new team entirely. But need a few more games to see if that is actually happening. Fingers crossed ...

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

On an unrelated note, after today's game, I'm pulling for SF to win every game and for the Dodgers to lose every game.

If this season is destined to end up with a 4th straight wild card appearance, I do not want it to be in SF vs. Bumgarner. As of last night, the Dodgers passed SF and moved into 1st place for the first time in a long time. So SF now has a 3-game lead in WC race. We need them to win the West. I'd rather take my chances in LA than deal with Bumgarner again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

446675686B6E69664572646468070 wrote: On an unrelated note, after today's game, I'm pulling for SF to win every game and for the Dodgers to lose every game.

If this season is destined to end up with a 4th straight wild card appearance, I do not want it to be in SF vs. Bumgarner. As of last night, the Dodgers passed SF and moved into 1st place for the first time in a long time. So SF now has a 3-game lead in WC race. We need them to win the West. I'd rather take my chances in LA than deal with Bumgarner again.

I don't know. I get the pitching match up, but I think the Dodgers have a better line up for our guys to try to get out.

Besides Bumgarner, I think the Giants and Pirates are pretty even. No one really sticks out in their line up. Posey is very good, but not a guy who you are worried to put one in the seats. Crawford is a Pirates killer. Other than that, very even in my opinion.

I think the Pirates should just get to the Playoffs and worry about that later. It will be tough no matter who they play.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

092B38252623242B083F2929254A0 wrote: I call these "house money" games. They're 4-1 on the trip out West and have already won both series. So it's a success regardless of today's result. But man 5-1 and a sweep in SF would be sweet.

As for Nova, I have been very impressed with his ability to throw strikes. However I almost think he's throwing too many strikes -- just throwing strike after strike at 93 mph will you get hit pretty hard in this league, and he was very fortunate vs. the Dodgers. Perhaps he needs to be, not wild, but a little more "unpredictable." Even if he gets hit today, I'm hoping the Pirates offense can stay hot and score runs vs. Cain.

Like others posted last night ... if Cutch really is back, and if Kang is becoming Kang again, then this is a new team entirely. But need a few more games to see if that is actually happening. Fingers crossed ...

You used the exact phrase I came on this thread to post -- "house money." I'd love a sweep, who wouldn't?, but if the Pirates can play .667 ball the rest of the way, there's absolutely no way they miss the playoffs.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6240534E4D484F40635442424E210 wrote: On an unrelated note, after today's game, I'm pulling for SF to win every game and for the Dodgers to lose every game.

SF in a complete free fall right now at 9-20 since the All-Star break. It will be interesting to see if they can pull out of it, or just continue to collapse. Their offensive lineup is pretty ordinary (unless Pence wakes up). It's always about pitching for them and they are not getting consistency from their arms. Cain has been awful. Dodgers have played better as a team since Kershaw's injury. Personally, if we can get to the WC finish line, I think we'll see the Cards there with us.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Okay, this is ridiculous. I felt like the Pirates have played great out West in recent years, so I looked it up. Going back to the start of the 2013 season, the Pirates are 53-27 in games on the road at the NL West & AL West. That's a .662 win percentage ... which is insane.

Here's the breakdown:

2013: 14-10

2014: 10-6

2015: 14-3

2016: 15-8

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F4D5E434045424D6E594F4F432C0 wrote: Okay, this is ridiculous. I felt like the Pirates have played great out West in recent years, so I looked it up. Going back to the start of the 2013 season, the Pirates are 53-27 in games on the road at the NL West & AL West. That's a .662 win percentage ... which is insane.

Here's the breakdown:

2013: 14-10

2014: 10-6

2015: 14-3

2016: 15-8

hidden vigorish making up for the past 50 years out there.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

HA!

Joe Block ‏@joe_block 2h2 hours ago

Today's pitching matchup:

Nova/Cain
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I must admit, I had resigned myself to the Bucs playing a lackadaisical style of play through the remaining 50 games...

What a pleasant surprise. Nice to see Cutch playing his game and Kang hitting. If Cole can get back on track, hey they just might give the Marlins, Dodgers and Cards a run for their money!

Beat'em Bucs :D