Bell to play a lot.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Bell to play a lot.

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Trib, Bell will get the lion's share of play at 1B now.

“When we decided to call up Josh, our thought is to get him engaged in the game,” Hurdle said. “I think it's important for us, an organization to, at the end of the season (to say), ‘OK, this is what we feel, this is what we think Josh can bring.' Not going into the winter, ‘Well, he didn't play.'

“I spoke with John (Jaso) about it as well, because, we are going to need some help. He's going to need a guy to lean upon. Who better than John, who picked the glove up and went to work with it? ... We want to get Bell involved and keep him engaged and see where we can take this with him.”

I think this is good but somewhat perplexing. When he was called up earlier and gave the team a shot in the arm, he was sent back so that the struggling Jaso could continue to play. Bell did nothing to merit a recall, hitting about .210 at Indy after he was sent back and not playing good defense. So it's not as if he accomplished things at Indy that couldn't be ignored and forced the Bucs to bring him back. They just decided they wanted to play him now even though nothing changed from the time they optioned him. This makes it all the more frustrating that they sent him back down when they needed the energy a guy like that had provided them.
Quail

Bell to play a lot.

Post by Quail »

My suspicion is that the Pirates FO has a plan for their prospect development that is determined in advance of the season and is (barring unexpected injuries) adhered to with nearly dogmatic rigidity. Bell's earlier cameo came at a time when he could have possibly contributed to a struggling offense, but those struggles were allowed to continue is spite of an impressive showing by Bell. Somehow now the time is right for Bell to be given his chance after having a disappointing month at AAA? There seems to be a disconnect there.
PMike

Bell to play a lot.

Post by PMike »

I don't think it's that complicated. Kang went on the DL. Bringing Bell up in lieu of that meant he could be an every day player. Even if you intend on putting Jaso on the bench, Bell wasn't going to play every day while both Kang and Freese were healthy. Ultimately, they want him playing every day. That's why the brief stint earlier wasn't going to continue.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Bell to play a lot.

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

And Jaso changed. He has been getting worse and worse as the season is continuing. If Jaso was hitting like he did in April, Bell probably wouldn't be getting the majority of the time at 1B.
ArnoldRothstein

Bell to play a lot.

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It could be that they finally determined that a waiver deal market's not going to develop for Jaso.
zeitgeist

Bell to play a lot.

Post by zeitgeist »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: Per the Trib, Bell will get the lion's share of play at 1B now.

“When we decided to call up Josh, our thought is to get him engaged in the game,” Hurdle said. “I think it's important for us, an organization to, at the end of the season (to say), ‘OK, this is what we feel, this is what we think Josh can bring.' Not going into the winter, ‘Well, he didn't play.'

“I spoke with John (Jaso) about it as well, because, we are going to need some help. He's going to need a guy to lean upon. Who better than John, who picked the glove up and went to work with it? ... We want to get Bell involved and keep him engaged and see where we can take this with him.”

I think this is good but somewhat perplexing. When he was called up earlier and gave the team a shot in the arm, he was sent back so that the struggling Jaso could continue to play. Bell did nothing to merit a recall, hitting about .210 at Indy after he was sent back and not playing good defense. So it's not as if he accomplished things at Indy that couldn't be ignored and forced the Bucs to bring him back. They just decided they wanted to play him now even though nothing changed from the time they optioned him. This makes it all the more frustrating that they sent him back down when they needed the energy a guy like that had provided them.
I too find how they have used Bell perplexing. When it seemed like he deserved to stay up they sent him down, but now that he really is struggling he is going to play regularly. I don't get it. It could be as Quail suggests something much more predetermined. I am happy he is up but do not understand the Pirates' handling of him....
mouse

Bell to play a lot.

Post by mouse »

I think PMike's analysis makes perfect sense. They want him playing everyday. Having seen him in the field I'm not sure AAA isn't the place for that, but apparently they feel they need the bat. Of course, scoring four runs in three days might mean their thoughts on what they need are well founded.
Steve19981

Bell to play a lot.

Post by Steve19981 »

6C485C54513D0 wrote: My suspicion is that the Pirates FO has a plan for their prospect development that is determined in advance of the season and is (barring unexpected injuries) adhered to with nearly dogmatic rigidity. Bell's earlier cameo came at a time when he could have possibly contributed to a struggling offense, but those struggles were allowed to continue is spite of an impressive showing by Bell. Somehow now the time is right for Bell to be given his chance after having a disappointing month at AAA? There seems to be a disconnect there.

I don't agree with this at all. I don't think anyone came into the year thinking Chad Kuhl or Adam Frazier by midseason ahead of Glasnow and Hanson. I just think things break the way they break.