100 games into the season...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates since June 24th over the last 5 weeks are 18-9 in their last 27 games. There are currently 62 games left. I said at the start of the season I thought that 89 wins would be enough to get into the playoffs. I'm going to stick by that number. So my math tells me to get to 89 wins the Pirates need to go 37-25 over their final 62 games to do so. That is not impossible at all to suggest. I definitely think with the schedule they have left they have a chance to do it. I'm still not sold on teams like the Dodgers,Marlins and even the Mets or Cards. I definitely think the Pirates have a shot to overtake 2 of these 4 teams. The one team I wouldn't want to face out of those 4 is the Marlins seeing that they have Fernandez and he has the potential to do to the Pirates what both Bamgarner and Arietta did to us the last two years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Marlins are the surprise team this year for sure.  Well, at least to me.  I knew they had talent, but didn't think they would hang around this long.

The Pirates have hit some good pitchers this year.  I am more worried about a one-and-done game because the loser goes home and anyone can have a bad game at any moment, but not necessarily worried about the opposing pitcher.  The Pirates have hit Arietta and Kershaw this year.

37 wins is doable if you number is accurate.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Since Iowa is no longer posting, Steady you need post what we need to do to get there starting with the Brewers tomorrow.

I always enjoy the + or - against Iowa's predictions -- and I think others do as well. So give us something to measure those 37 wins against.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I see where Miami reactivated Dee Gordon today, so they may get better.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4766737A427B60736677120 wrote: Since Iowa is no longer posting, Steady you need post what we need to do to get there starting with the Brewers tomorrow.

I always enjoy the + or - against Iowa's predictions -- and I think others do as well. So give us something to measure those 37 wins against.

Where is IA? His predictions were pretty accurate and fun to follow.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4B6A7F764E776C7F6A7B1E0 wrote: Since Iowa is no longer posting, Steady you need post what we need to do to get there starting with the Brewers tomorrow.

I always enjoy the + or - against Iowa's predictions -- and I think others do as well. So give us something to measure those 37 wins against. Okay I will do my best to break down every series the rest of the way and how we can get to 37 wins to get a wildcard spot. There are 62 games remaining so here goes. Keep in mind 34 of the 62 games remaining are against the Brewers, Braves, Reds, Padres, and Phillies. So you have to win if not all then most of those series against those teams.

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 at Atlanta 3-0

3 home Cincinnati 2-1

3 home San Diego 2-1

3 at LA 2-1

3 at San Fran 1-2

3 home Miami 2-1

3 home Houston 1-2

4 at Milwaukee 2-2

3 at Chicago 1-2

3 home Milwaukee 2-1

3 home St Louis 1-2

4 home Cincinnati 3-1

4 at Philadelphia 2-2

4 at Cincinnati 3-1

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 home Washington 2-1

4 home Chicago 2-2

3 at St Louis 2-1

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Just like last year, this team is not built for a 1-game winner take all ... UNLESS Cole can be counted upon to do what he did last night. So far he has not proven that he can be counted on for that level of performance.

A 1-game showdown vs. most of these wild-card contenders, matching No. 1 vs. No. 1, would once again not be a good situation for the Pirates. Most of the other No. 1s, at least right now, are more reliable and more dominant than Cole.

Hopefully that changes between now and October.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6F48595D58457A4E595858453C0 wrote: Since Iowa is no longer posting, Steady you need post what we need to do to get there starting with the Brewers tomorrow.

I always enjoy the + or - against Iowa's predictions -- and I think others do as well. So give us something to measure those 37 wins against. Okay I will do my best to break down every series the rest of the way and how we can get to 37 wins to get a wildcard spot. There are 62 games remaining so here goes. Keep in mind 34 of the 62 games remaining are against the Brewers, Braves, Reds, Padres, and Phillies. So you have to win if not all then most of those series against those teams.

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 at Atlanta  3-0

3 home Cincinnati  2-1

3 home San Diego  2-1

3 at LA  2-1

3 at San Fran 1-2

3 home Miami 2-1

3 home Houston 1-2

4 at Milwaukee 2-2

3 at Chicago 1-2

3 home Milwaukee 2-1

3 home St Louis 1-2

4 home Cincinnati 3-1

4 at Philadelphia 2-2

4 at Cincinnati 3-1

3 at Milwaukee 2-1

3 home Washington 2-1

4 home Chicago 2-2

3 at St Louis 2-1

You da man! ;D

Now that it's written, let it be done...
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like the breakdown for the remaining 62 games, but I am a little concerned with the 8-3 record vs the Reds. The Reds have been tough on us, but I hope our record does improve against them.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7B594A57545156597A4D5B5B57380 wrote: Just like last year, this team is not built for a 1-game winner take all ... UNLESS Cole can be counted upon to do what he did last night. So far he has not proven that he can be counted on for that level of performance.

A 1-game showdown vs. most of these wild-card contenders, matching No. 1 vs. No. 1, would once again not be a good situation for the Pirates. Most of the other No. 1s, at least right now, are more reliable and more dominant than Cole.

Hopefully that changes between now and October.

I feel a lot better about playing a one game playoff this year as opposed to the last two years. The only one that would really worry me would be Jose Fernandez if we faced the Marlins and especially if it would be in Miami since he is like 25-1 there all time. I could see a repeat of Bumgarner and Arietta the last two years taking place if that should happen. As for the other teams starting with the Dodgers Kershaw's status is still up in the air for the rest of the season, and even if he does pitch the Pirates have done very well against him recently. I think the Pirates could beat the Dodgers. The Mets with either Degrom or Syndegard would be tough but I don't think either will pull a Bumgarner or Arietta, and if Cole shows up that night he could out duel one of those guys very easily. And the Cardinals with either someone like Wainwright, Wacha, or even Carlos Martinez would definitely be beatable as well. So gotta get there first, but if the the Pirates do I think they have a decent chance if Cole pitches like we all know he can pitch of winning the 1 and done game.