Bucs send Tito Polo and Stephen Tarpley to Yanks
Jerseykc

Nova deal completed

Post by Jerseykc »

ouch, they may never make it but know that a lot of people are high on Tarpley
MaineBucs

Nova deal completed

Post by MaineBucs »

A bit more than I would have preferred to pay, but none were top 10 prospects and according to PP, both were just outside being a top 20 prospect.

If this was Pittsburgh 6 years ago, and NH announced that he had just traded someone like Kip Wells, Zach Duke or Ian Snell for this type of return I would have been really happy. The Yankees received good value, but it is not like the Pirates bankrupted the system to land Nova.

Guess we gotta hope that Caminiero yields at least 1 prospect with a similar pedigree to either Tarpley or Polo to help restock the system. Also, getting Hearn in the Melancon deal helps.
Leyland1948

Nova deal completed

Post by Leyland1948 »

A lot of talent for a rental! Price of starting pitchers, I guess.
BucsFaninGA

Nova deal completed

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Why is Huntington so sure they can not sign Nova? I mean, he seems to pitch well in the Burgh. If they pinch pennies again this offseason, folks are going to boo boo Neal just walking down the street. I realize Nova may want some $$, but darn this dumpster diving mentality and financial responsibility stuff is begin to sound so politically correct for not wanting to pay $$.

Tell me something good about this deal in the long term...Beat'em Bucs 8-)
iabucco

Nova deal completed

Post by iabucco »

That seems like a lot for a possible rental player who wasn't performing well for the Yanks. He has been good for us but, you would think we could have given at least one lower prospect.
ChitownBucco

Nova deal completed

Post by ChitownBucco »

Polo was having a really really good year
Ecbucs

Nova deal completed

Post by Ecbucs »

547F7E637860795562747478170 wrote: Polo was having a really really good year

maybe a Polo or Tarpley will be return from the Arquimedes deal to Mariners.
CarolinaBucco

Nova deal completed

Post by CarolinaBucco »

When it happened I predicted I wouldn't be happy with the 2 PTBNL, and now it's happened and I'm not happy. I even predicted in one of those threads that one of two would be Polo.

If the Pirates can somehow re-sign Nova and he's a competent starter next year, then I'm okay with this deal.

Or if Nova leads this team to postseason and then helps this team win in postseason, I'm okay with it.

But it Nova is gone for good in one month then I feel like we potentially gave up WAY too much for him.
Ecbucs

Nova deal completed

Post by Ecbucs »

6B495A47444146496A5D4B4B47280 wrote: When it happened I predicted I wouldn't be happy with the 2 PTBNL, and now it's happened and I'm not happy. I even predicted in one of those threads that one of two would be Polo.

If the Pirates can somehow re-sign Nova and he's a competent starter next year, then I'm okay with this deal.

Or if Nova leads this team to postseason and then helps this team win in postseason, I'm okay with it.

But it Nova is gone for good in one month then I feel like we potentially gave up WAY too much for him.

I guess the Bucs didn't have an Adrian Sampson or Jacoby Jones to deal this year.  I too think this sounds like a lot to give up for Nova, mostly because the deal was not for the Nova who has been lights out for the Bucs but for someone the Yankees had no intention of bringing back and wanted to replace in their rotation. 

That being said, the price paid is not bad for the actual production he has brought so far. I guess in context with other deals the Bucs probably paid a fair price for him.