The prospect poll as of now

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I was going to wait until the end of the season, but with two prospects traded today, an update. Tarpley was #16 and Polo #40 in our pre-season poll. Also traded, #5 Ramirez and #7 McGuire. #3 (Taillon) no longer qualifies, 17 (Kuhl) probably won't after today, 15 (Frazier) has enough big league time to not be considered a rookie but not enough ABs, and outside chance 4 (Bell) gets enough AB. We've seen the MLB debut of 1 (Glasnow), 6 (Hanson), 9 (Diaz, OK, last year), 14 (Brault), 18 (Moroff) and 47 (Stallings) this year.

We should see risers like #11 Newman, #19 Keller, #24 Barnes and maybe #26 Kramer, #41 Waddell and #25 Ozuna.

#20 Garcia, #29 G. Ngoepe, #36 Gamache and #37 Reyes may fall out.

Newcomer Taylor Hearn should crack the 40, as well as several draft picks (Craig, McGregor, Kranchick, Ogle, maybe Alemais, Shields, Cederlind, Vieaux) and guys with breakout years in the minors (Duncan, Wood, Weiss, Neverauskas). It will be interesting. I will post a recap of the poll and some stats after the season ends.
PMike

Post by PMike »

707375696E7067683231000 wrote: I was going to wait until the end of the season, but with two prospects traded today, an update. Tarpley was #16 and Polo #40 in our pre-season poll. Also traded, #5 Ramirez and #7 McGuire. #3 (Taillon) no longer qualifies, 17 (Kuhl) probably won't after today, 15 (Frazier) has enough big league time to not be considered a rookie but not enough ABs, and outside chance 4 (Bell) gets enough AB. We've seen the MLB debut of 1 (Glasnow), 6 (Hanson), 9 (Diaz, OK, last year), 14 (Brault), 18 (Moroff) and 47 (Stallings) this year.

We should see risers like #11 Newman, #19 Keller, #24 Barnes and maybe #26 Kramer, #41 Waddell and #25 Ozuna.

Newcomer Taylor Hearn should crack the 40, as well as several draft picks (Craig, McGregor, Kranchick, Ogle, maybe Alemais, Shields, Cederlind, Vieaux) and guys with breakout years in the minors (Duncan, Wood, Weiss, Neverauskas). It will be interesting. I will post a recap of the poll and some stats after the season ends.

Interesting to think about now. Would Keller come in third?

1. Glasnow

2. Meadows

3. Keller
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

322F0B0907620 wrote: I was going to wait until the end of the season, but with two prospects traded today, an update. Tarpley was #16 and Polo #40 in our pre-season poll. Also traded, #5 Ramirez and #7 McGuire. #3 (Taillon) no longer qualifies, 17 (Kuhl) probably won't after today, 15 (Frazier) has enough big league time to not be considered a rookie but not enough ABs, and outside chance 4 (Bell) gets enough AB. We've seen the MLB debut of 1 (Glasnow), 6 (Hanson), 9 (Diaz, OK, last year), 14 (Brault), 18 (Moroff) and 47 (Stallings) this year.

Interesting to think about now.  Would Keller come in third?

1. Glasnow

2. Meadows

3. Keller

Nice first start for Keller in A+ tonight

I think Kingham and Newman still ahead of Keller, tucker, Diaz.

Craig, Barnes and Hayes also in top 10
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I'm not sure I can remember when there were so many pieces either graduating or being moved in/out of the system.

I'm going to throw out one name that gets very little consideration when talking about prospects and that is Jin-De Jhang. Since he took over for McGuire full time at Altoona he's hit .328 (he's really turned it on this past week) and raised his OPS to over .700. He's plugged in nicely since a favored prospect was dealt and has never had that early draft "prospect" status that keeps him on people's radar. And he even got a little taste of backing up at AAA this year.

Not that he would be high up on a prospect list, but he seems like the next C in the system after Diaz -- and a decent one at that. Others might know his defensive abilities better than I, although I think he's considered a solid catcher. But I think it's time he's brought up in our prospect discussions when the time comes. I've been watching him with some curiosity since Altoona has hardly missed McGuire behind the plate since he left.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

Danny Beddes is another one we should keep an eye on.

Where did Luis Escobar end up? He throws hard and might be the most underrated arm in the system.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

4463726172262E2E2F26170 wrote: Danny Beddes is another one we should keep an eye on.

Where did Luis Escobar end up? He throws hard and might be the most underrated arm in the system.

Ha! Glad you brought him up. Not a whole lot of Utah kids in the minors so I have a penchant to watch how they are doing. Now if they get drafted by the Bucs, then I keep a sharp eye out on them.

Beddes is from Utah Valley University and grew up in Utah. He helped lead UVU to their first College World Series Regional this past season. And he's done pretty well his first season with us. At 6'6" he's the kind of big arm we like.