Freese Extended

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NJBucsFan

Freese Extended

Post by NJBucsFan »

The Pirates are reporting on Twitter that "The Pirates and INF David Freese have agreed on a 2-year extension with a Club option for 2019." Not sure what the terms are, but as long as this doesn't get in the way of signing pitching, I love it!
MaineBucs

Freese Extended

Post by MaineBucs »

Will be interesting to see the terms.

Freese has been a god send this year, but I am very nervous that he could crater next year. But, with Kang's inability to rebound and on-going legal troubles, this signing could be an astute move. Freese also seems to be a good presence in the dug-out.

Also more clear than ever that Jaso must go. Further, doubt that Rodriguez will be back with this signing.
Ecbucs

Freese Extended

Post by Ecbucs »

2D292116001025020D630 wrote: The Pirates are reporting on Twitter that "The Pirates and INF David Freese have agreed on a 2-year extension with a Club option for 2019." Not sure what the terms are, but as long as this doesn't get in the way of signing pitching, I love it!

saw one report that it is 11 million guaranteed. 6.25, 4.25 and then 500k buyout or 6 million. Certainly not a lot of money but I would be that his best offensive year with Bucs is this season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Freese Extended

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Greg Brown was saying on the radio broadcast yesterday they were in talks. This is great news.

He might not be the "starter" but he is on a good team and still plays a ton. I am glad he is staying.
iabucco

Freese Extended

Post by iabucco »

This gives flexibility. I am hopeful that if he isn't counted on as an everyday starter that he can continue to produce at the level he has produced this year.

I would not expect Joyce to be extended. Bell can play outfield and Freese cover first if need be with Frazier being a super utility player.
Quail

Freese Extended

Post by Quail »

5F737B7C7750677161120 wrote: Will be interesting to see the terms.

Freese has been a god send this year, but I am very nervous that he could crater next year.   But, with Kang's inability to rebound and on-going legal troubles, this signing could be an astute move.  Freese also seems to be a good presence in the dug-out.

Also more clear than ever that Jaso must go.  Further, doubt that Rodriguez will be back with this signing. 

I see this as a move that covers the Pirates' concerns over Kang's continuing health issues and his tenuous legal status.

I like Freese as a solid all-around player, but like you Maine I'm concerned that he won't be able to replicate his current production going forward. He'll be 36 years old in his option year.
JollyRoger

Freese Extended

Post by JollyRoger »

Well; what do you know?

Instead of financial flexibility, we sign a player for defensive and offensive flexibility. Very nice change of pace.

Very pleased with this signing. This provides insurance in case Kang has further injury or criminal issues.
Tintin

Freese Extended

Post by Tintin »

0C292A2A3F1429212334460 wrote: Well; what do you know?

Instead of financial flexibility, we sign a player for defensive and offensive flexibility. Very nice change of pace.

Very pleased with this signing. This provides insurance in case Kang has further injury or criminal issues. 

It's seems to me that we took the Liriano money and spent it on Freese.

I'm cool with that.

Even if Kand and Bell are effective, Freses will play 40 games at both 1b and 3b and be an effective bench bat.

This will also give him some trade appeal if that needs to happen.
fjk090852-7

Freese Extended

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I liked the signing of Freese, but over the past 30 games he is hitting under .220. I hope the Bucs did not make a bad move by extending him before this season ended.
Quail

Freese Extended

Post by Quail »

242829727B727A77706F75420 wrote: I liked the signing of Freese, but over the past 30 games he is hitting under .220. I hope the Bucs did not make a bad move by extending him before this season ended. 

Yeah Freese has been slumping since signing that extension. Still, the terms are reasonable enough that if he's just insurance for Kang at 3B, an occasional fill-in at 1B and a RH bench bat he'll be worth the contract. He's better than a .220 hitter and not as good as the .300 hitter he was for the first few months of the season. Somewhere around .250 with a little pop and good defense is all they need.