Have the Bucs Quit on Hurdle

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested. This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately. I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

They have quit. On Hurdle? Not too sure. However, something is terribly wrong with this clubhouse that appears on the outside to be a great one. The body language of many players is poor - in a non caring mode.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

262A2B7079707875726D77400 wrote: A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested.  This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately.  I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.
Its a combination of things. At this point, most of the pitching is being handled by inexperienced players. Defensively, there have been mental lapses all season and the players just don't seem to be learning. Offensively, Cutch and Cervelli continue with the poor seasons they've had all year. Marte has been out. No one knows how to run bases. The coaches seem to have zero affect.

Meanwhile, watching the players dance, go thru handshake gyrations and preen, they remind me of little kids who think they are hot stuff only to get schooled by other teams on how to play the game. There is way too much of this foolishness for a team that has spent the entire season just slightly above or below .500. To me, it suggests they don't get it. They don't know how to buckle down and get serious and get the job done. They think what they're doing on the field is just fine and can't understand why they are losing. They need an attitude change for next year to understand it takes more than looking cool to win. They need to bring in a veteran or 2 to provide clubhouse leadership and tell the knuckleheads to knock it off and focus on winning games. They need coaches who can get thru to the players who make the same mistakes over and over. They need a manager who is more concerned with doing whatever needs to be done to win (e.g., dropping Cutch in the order) than being their friend.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Couldn't agree more with Bobster's analysis. Maybe not a new manager but some shakeup, and bringing in a Kirk Gibson type vet would help a lot also.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested.  This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately.  I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.
Its a combination of things. At this point, most of the pitching is being handled by inexperienced players. Defensively, there have been mental lapses all season and the players just don't seem to be learning. Offensively, Cutch and Cervelli continue with the poor seasons they've had all year. Marte has been out. No one knows how to run bases. The coaches seem to have zero affect.

Meanwhile, watching the players dance, go thru handshake gyrations and preen, they remind me of little kids who think they are hot stuff only to get schooled by other teams on how to play the game. There is way too much of this foolishness for a team that has spent the entire season just slightly above or below .500. To me, it suggests they don't get it. They don't know how to buckle down and get serious and get the job done. They think what they're doing on the field is just fine and can't understand why they are losing. They need an attitude change for next year to understand it takes more than looking cool to win. They need to bring in a veteran or 2 to provide clubhouse leadership and tell the knuckleheads to knock it off and focus on winning games. They need coaches who can get thru to the players who make the same mistakes over and over. They need a manager who is more concerned with doing whatever needs to be done to win (e.g., dropping Cutch in the order) than being their friend.

the same mistakes over and over is what gets me. the biggest problem might be convincing players they are making mistakes.

during spring training there were a couple articles explaining the nw play shallower outfield alignment. a lot of charts and other evidence was shown to players to get them to buy in to change. May need to do that with baserunning and what base to throw to,
PMike

Post by PMike »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested.  This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately.  I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.

I don't like the harping on the dancing, handshakes, and whatnot as a reason for losing. These guys are playing a game for a living. In many ways, they are entertainers. No one had a problem with this stuff last year. It was the same guys doing the same things. Now, when they are losing, it's a big problem.

The problem is on the mound. The problem is in the batters box. The problem is on the base paths. The problem is really bad defense at really bad times. The problem is with a few people who were really counted on failing badly. The problem is not high fives and drumming on buckets.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

504D696B65000 wrote: A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested.  This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately.  I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.

I don't like the harping on the dancing, handshakes, and whatnot as a reason for losing.  These guys are playing a game for a living.  In many ways, they are entertainers.  No one had a problem with this stuff last year.  It was the same guys doing the same things.  Now, when they are losing, it's a big problem.

The problem is on the mound.  The problem is in the batters box.  The problem is on the base paths.  The problem is really bad defense at really bad times.  The problem is with a few people who were really counted on failing badly.  The problem is not high fives and drumming on buckets.
Not many fans are entertained by losing. You can get away with the silliness when you win. But it's the winning that entertains the fans; not the gyrations in the dugout. And that's not why I said they are losing. I spelled that out pretty clearly in my first paragraph. What looks bad is that they seem unfocused on the field while doing all this other stuff in the dugout or preening when they reach base or in the gathering of outfielders after a rare victory. Instead of working on their dances and handshakes, they could better use the time studying how to run bases or where to throw the ball. Seems like they have other things on their minds instead of focusing on playing good, quality ball. If you're satisfied with bad baseball as long as you get entertained by dancing in the dugout, then good for you. But I'll continue to harp on the nonsense as long as they play lousy baseball.
Quail

Post by Quail »

504D696B65000 wrote: A little less than three weeks until the season ends and the Bucs now sit four games below .500. They have lost like 12 out of 14 games, the play of some seem like they are very disinterested.  This team has more talent than several of the teams which have beaten them lately.  I agree the off season was not very good, but this team as assembled is not a below .500 ball club. There is a major problem with this team inside the clubhouse, and whatever it is, it must be corrected before spring training 2017.

I don't like the harping on the dancing, handshakes, and whatnot as a reason for losing.  These guys are playing a game for a living.  In many ways, they are entertainers.  No one had a problem with this stuff last year.  It was the same guys doing the same things.  Now, when they are losing, it's a big problem.

The problem is on the mound.  The problem is in the batters box.  The problem is on the base paths.  The problem is really bad defense at really bad times.  The problem is with a few people who were really counted on failing badly.  The problem is not high fives and drumming on buckets.

I agree PMike. Can't say that I enjoy seeing all the levity in the dugout when the team is playing so terribly, but I think it's a bit like whistling when you pass a graveyard. Trying to keep your spirits up and not let the bad stuff get you down. The reason that they're losing has to do with the poor performance of key players and a faulty offseason strategy by the F.O. not some goofy pregame warm-up routine.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I lean more to Quail's point.

No one cares what they do in the dugout when they are winning. No one really knows what is happening in the Clubhouse anyway.

I also don't think they are dancing around for the fans. I feel they are doing it for themselves to get ready. Something that has worked in the past It is also before the game, not between the lines.

Imagine if a player hit a HR or a nice RBI and no one high fived them? That would be worse. I think they the outfielders should just high five after a win, their little routine isn't cool since they are losing (like showing up the other team).
mouse

Post by mouse »

That post-game demo has always reminded me of the Brewers pulling out their shirt-tails after a game. Seems unnecessary, but in any job you have to find ways to keep yourself entertained.