Game Thread vs. Phils

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Ecbucs »

head 1 -0 as I start the thread. Can Nova keep going?

Now that season is done, if Cutch has nagging injuries it might be good to shut him down too (still hoping something like that has caused this season)
BenM

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by BenM »

Nova is pricing himself right out of the Bucs' budget.
SCBucco

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by SCBucco »

11 strikeouts for Nova thru 5. He needs help!
Bobster21

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Bobster21 »

092E25064B0 wrote: Nova is pricing himself right out of the Bucs' budget.
You mean he was going to ask for 4 dollars and 29 cents?
Jerseykc

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Jerseykc »

Quinn is going to be a good one, good bat speed. He was in AA all season. Phils didn't bring up Cozens, Hoskins or Fox (40, 38, 25 HR)
CarolinaBucco

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Well, Pirates had their first big hit in the late innings of a game they trailed since ... well, I can't even remember the last time, honestly.

Unfortunately, this one came about 2 weeks too late now that it doesn't matter any more.

One of the biggest downfalls of this team ... they NEVER got big hits in the 7th-9th innings when they trailed by 1-2 runs. NEVER.

S-Rod did it tonight, but no one cares when you've lost 12 of 14.
CarolinaBucco

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Until tonight the Pirates had been 0-65 when trailing after 8.

A good team will typically get 3-5 of those kind of wins per year.

Just another factor that adds up to a lost season.

This team was atrocious/horrendous/incompetent at getting clutch hits when trailing late in close games.

I can't really get excited about tonight's win when it improves your record to 1-65.
Ecbucs

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by Ecbucs »

1B392A37343136391A2D3B3B37580 wrote: Until tonight the Pirates had been 0-65 when trailing after 8.

A good team will typically get 3-5 of those kind of wins per year.

Just another factor that adds up to a lost season.

This team was atrocious/horrendous/incompetent at getting clutch hits when trailing late in close games.

I can't really get excited about tonight's win when it improves your record to 1-65.

That first win and adding Wade LeBlanc is worth a little. Of course the team needs to go undefeated (and might have until I typed that).
CarolinaBucco

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by CarolinaBucco »

A team can possibly survive one nightmarish stretch during a season, but the Pirates are showing you can't survive two.

Pirates had a 6-20 stretch in late May and June.

And now a 2-12 stretch in Aug./Sept.

No way you can lose a combined 32 of 40 in what amounts to 1/4 of the season.

Here's what's most frustrating. The Pirates are 6 games out. If they had gone 7-7 over the recent stretch (which certainly isn't asking much) instead of 2-12, they would be just 1 game out right now.
SteadyFreddy

Game Thread vs. Phils

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It just wasn't meant to be for the Pirates this season for whatever reason. They just never won all those close games they were finding ways to win the last 3 years, and they never blew as many games as they have done the past few seasons. I'm with you Carolina you can't have two horrific stretches like the Pirates have had this season back in June and just recently here and expect to be a playoff team. The Pirates are what their record says they are and they earned every last bit of it.