Josh Bell

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Josh Bell

Post by Leyland1948 »

I know me has not been tested in right field much the past few nights but are we seeing a preview of our right fielder for 2017? Are we going to move an out fielder this winter? If yes and yes any ideas on who may man first base next year!
Bobster21

Josh Bell

Post by Bobster21 »

0C25392C212E2471797478400 wrote: I know me has not been tested in right field much the past few nights but are we seeing a preview of our right fielder for 2017? Are we going to move an out fielder this winter? If yes and yes any ideas on who may man first base next year!
I seriously doubt it. A good OF of Marte, Cutch and Polanco is under contract. A switch-hitting first baseman with power is hard to find and would cost a lot but Bell gets minimum salary. The will have all 4 in the lineup next year instead of only 3 of them and looking for an inexpensive 1Bman, which would get them someone like Jaso.
mouse

Josh Bell

Post by mouse »

Bell doesn't strike me as being particularly good at either position. Just not fluid anywhere. He's probably better in right but that's mainly because he gets less chances. Even this year when the team is playing its outfielders shallow they had him deep enough the other night he couldn't get to pop fly down the right field line, turning it into a double and eventually a run.

He does hit really well though. He seems to be able to recognize pitches and is willing to take a walk. He should do really well offensively. My guess is his role next year may well be determined by how the DH debate turns out this off-season. He's almost a lock for that role if by some hateful turn of events the NL adopts it. Then the issue is who they get for first. Willie Stargell made the transition pretty well. I keep wondering if Cutch might not make it as well, solving several problems. (Again, assuming the DH comes to the NL.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Josh Bell

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

As long as Bell hits, he will play. He will play mostly 1B. The Pirates have converted players to 1B the last two years. They aren't afraid to hide a bat there.

McCutchen will not play 1B.
Osushawn

Josh Bell

Post by Osushawn »

It would not surprise me in the least to see them pair McCutchen and Cole together to pry Goldschmidt from Arizona and move Bell to the outfield.
Ecbucs

Josh Bell

Post by Ecbucs »

292B313721440 wrote: Bell doesn't strike me as being particularly good at either position. Just not fluid anywhere. He's probably better in right but that's mainly because he gets less chances. Even this year when the team is playing its outfielders shallow they had him deep enough the other night he couldn't get to pop fly down the right field line, turning it into a double and eventually a run.

He does hit really well though. He seems to be able to recognize pitches and is willing to take a walk. He should do really well offensively. My guess is his role next year may well be determined by how the DH debate turns out this off-season. He's almost a lock for that role if by some hateful turn of events the NL adopts it. Then the issue is who they get for first. Willie Stargell made the transition pretty well. I keep wondering if Cutch might not make it as well, solving several problems. (Again, assuming the DH comes to the NL.

Are any of Cutch's defensive problems related to him playing shallower than in the past? Not saying that moving back would make him great but maybe he would be better.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Josh Bell

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I thought that too. He has trouble going straight back. The hardest balls for a CF are the ones hit right at you. You have no idea which way they will tail.
CTBucco

Josh Bell

Post by CTBucco »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: I thought that too.  He has trouble going straight back.  The hardest balls for a CF are the ones hit right at you.  You have no idea which way they will tail.
And there's a depth perception issue as well. It's hard to tell whether it's going to be short, right at you, or over your head for just a split second. But that's all it takes to not get to it.
Bobster21

Josh Bell

Post by Bobster21 »

04130532242428470 wrote: I thought that too.  He has trouble going straight back.  The hardest balls for a CF are the ones hit right at you.  You have no idea which way they will tail.
And there's a depth perception issue as well.  It's hard to tell whether it's going to be short, right at you, or over your head for just a split second.  But that's all it takes to not get to it.
Yes, that's the issue. When it's hit right at you, you lose that split second that would otherwise allow you to get a good jump on the ball because you can't immediately gauge if it's right to you or over your head.
Ecbucs

Josh Bell

Post by Ecbucs »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: I thought that too.  He has trouble going straight back.  The hardest balls for a CF are the ones hit right at you.  You have no idea which way they will tail.
And there's a depth perception issue as well.  It's hard to tell whether it's going to be short, right at you, or over your head for just a split second.  But that's all it takes to not get to it.
Yes, that's the issue. When it's hit right at you, you lose that split second that would otherwise allow you to get a good jump on the ball because you can't immediately gauge if it's right to you or over your head. 

However, if that is one issue with Cutch, why didn't the Pirates change strategy and have him play deeper? I can understand team wanting outfielders to play shallower than in past if stats show that can lead to more outs. but that strategy only works if outfielders are decent at going back. For me (from a lousy outfielders perspective) it was easier to go in.