Pirates acquire Phil Coke

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bucs have acquired Phil Coke from Yanks for cash. I assume he will be added to roster.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I remember when it was first reported in the 2008 Jose Tabata trade that Coke was coming to the Pirates. But it turned out to be Karstens and McCutchen plus Ohlendorf and Tabata for Nady and Marte. Coke is a FA after the season so he won't be around long.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Any speculation as to the motivation for doing this? Rosters have expanded, so they have arms. There's only a week to go in the season and he's an FA after that?

(And anything more that fifty bucks to the Yankees will hurt their "financial flexibility".)

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

And can't be on the post season roster, right?

Need a pitcher just in case? Pitch limits?

I have no idea.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Another totally random arm added to the roster that doesn't really add much value. Don't understand this one.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Everybody in organization must be wearing t-shirts that say,

"Never Give Up, Never Surrender."
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I don't care that we added him, and I'm almost happy about it because when I saw the headline I figured we had traded two more top 30 prospects for 9 days of Phil Coke. If we got him for cash only, then who cares ... no harm done.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

My thoughts.

The Pirates have a rag tag collection of starting pitchers. While Nova, Tallion and Kuhl have usually gone 5 or more innings, Brault, Vogelsong, Williams, et al, may only go 2- 4 innings.

So, why not add Phil Coke? Cash considerations could be no more than the coins in NH's pocket (assuming that he even uses any cash).

I have yet to hear anyone that wants to see any more of Locke, LeBlanc has to be ready to return to his norm, Phillips - Coke - is there really a difference? Watson, Rivero and Bastardo have generally only been used for an inning, so maybe another lefty makes sense.

And, if he arrives in time, maybe he could replace Vogelsong as tonight's starter.

I view this as a no harm no foul move.
Quail

Post by Quail »

This is great news! Plan the parade. Everybody knows "things go better with Coke"! :D
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

"They may simply be getting concerned about all the innings Juan Nicasio and Felipe Rivero are throwing, a concern that may have been increased by the uncertainty whether Neftali Feliz will return this year."

Or so Wibur at Bucdugout says... And Schugel is out too.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2016/9/22/130 ... on-purpose

And I think they may be having end-of-season looks at possible bullpen depth for next year. Zach Phillips, Wade LeBlanc and now Phil Coke, all three lefty Loogie types, do we really need all of them unless they are taking a look with a mind towards next year?