2017 Bucs Pitching Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Just thinking of what the roster may look like based on the team now, in early 2017 going into Spring Training Camp

Starters...

Cole, Tallion, Kuhl, and two other pitchers...would love it if we were able to sign Nova...

Bullpen...

Watson, Hughes, L-Rivera, L-Bastardo, Nicasio, T. Williams, and another reliever

Wonder if NH will retain Jeff Locke, try and resign Neftali Perez

Glasnow will make the team, but I am uncertain where...

Thoughts, comments, ideas...

Beat'em Bucs
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Man, we need some vets in the starting rotation to off set the young Bucs...One can't go into 2017 season banking on all young, unproved players with less than a year under the belt...

Beat'em Bucs
PMike

Post by PMike »

0B3C2A3A0F282720270E08490 wrote: Man, we need some vets in the starting rotation to off set the young Bucs...One can't go into 2017 season banking on all young, unproved players with less than a year under the belt...

Beat'em Bucs

I think Glasnow should be in the rotation. We all know his warts. At this point in his career, he has control issues and struggles with the running game. But he has absolutely dominated at every level really has nothing more to prove at AAA. He is walking too many guys in AAA and getting by easily. I think he needs to start learning in the majors where guys won't let him be successful with the walks. I think he will struggle for a bit, but his place is in the majors.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I agree he belongs in the major, but I am all for him pitching out of the pen to get his feet wet. Much like Jim Leyland did with John Smiley. Chuck Tanner with Don Robinson. Danny Murtaugh with Dock Ellis....

Yikes, that Dock Ellis line. Dock was in the bullpen having his hair done thus all the curls and doo,LOL...

Beat'em Bucs on a Friday in the ATL
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Cole, Tailon, Kuhl are locks for next year. Signing Nova or another Veteran is a must too.

Then there is one spot for Brault, Williams, or Hutchison. Glasnow will be the big mid-season call up.

I don't expect Locke to be back. He has to be done as a Pirate. Right?
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Man, I hope so on Locke! :P
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Looking at the list of new year's free agents doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings about Bucs landing another start...

CJ Wilson

Jered Weaver

Brett Anderson

Jake Peavy

RA Dickey

Hisashi Iwakuma

Edison Volquez

Barto Colon

Edwin Jackson

Bud Norris

Doug fister

Jeremy Hellickson

Rich Hill

Wonder if Neal would open up that extra chest of plunder and sign Edison Volquez or Rich Hill? Not much quality on this list...
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirates need a veteran presence in the starting rotation. Nova seems like the best candidate out of the free agent pitchers that are available. Good for NH to try and strike early and often in trying to resign Nova.

I could see 3 years with an option for the 4th. Also give him an opt out for the 3rd year. Pitching is getting really expensive and the Bucs need to be prepared to pay, because there is so little on the market.

With respect to a veteran, the only other option is to trade for one. Almost hate to think what folks will be asking for in a trade for anyone of value; particularly because the free agent market is so bad.

I'm not saying this to start a bunch of mocking posts, but the one pitcher who could be really big for next year's plans would be Drew Hutchinson. If he can perform as a decent back end starter, the rotation sure would look a lot more solid.

I too hope that the Pirates are ready to move on from Jeff Locke. Always liked him because he is from neighboring New Hampshire, and because I saw him pitch in AA, but hey, he has demonstrated that he should not be in a major league rotation or even in the pen.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I have no idea what the pitching roster will look like next year, but I firmly believe the Pirates should sign Nova and trade for an established #2 starter (Archer, Carrasco, Quintana are my preferences). If this is done then your starting rotation will be Cole, trade acquisition, Nova, Taillon, and Kuhl. Then Brault, Williams, Hutchison, Kingham, Cumpton plus ubiquitous dumpster dives provide depth.

The bullpen outside of Watson and Rivero is pretty much fungible. Picking up arms to replace Feliz, Hughes (arb eligible), & Bastardo if their asking price is too steep should be fairly routine. Nicasio might be worth spending a little more to keep. He's been effective and healthy.

I'm also with those who think that Glasnow is best served getting his feet wet next year out of the Pirates bullpen. While Taillon and Kuhl have looked poised and undaunted by the MLB experience Glasnow has at times looked like a deer in headlights on the big stage. Let him get some experience one inning at a time and work his way into a starting role like others that Bucs Fan in GA mentioned.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6743575F5A360 wrote: I have no idea what the pitching roster will look like next year, but I firmly believe the Pirates should sign Nova and trade for an established #2 starter (Archer, Carrasco, Quintana are my preferences). If this is done then your starting rotation will be Cole, trade acquisition, Nova, Taillon, and Kuhl. Then Brault, Williams, Hutchison, Kingham, Cumpton plus ubiquitous dumpster dives provide depth.

The bullpen outside of Watson and Rivero is pretty much fungible. Picking up arms to replace Feliz, Hughes (arb eligible), & Bastardo if their asking price is too steep should be fairly routine. Nicasio might be worth spending a little more to keep. He's been effective and healthy.

I'm also with those who think that Glasnow is best served getting his feet wet next year out of the Pirates bullpen. While Taillon and Kuhl have looked poised and undaunted by the MLB experience Glasnow has at times looked like a deer in headlights on the big stage. Let him get some experience one inning at a time and work his way into a starting role like others that Bucs Fan in GA mentioned.   
All of that makes sense to me. And Locke should be gone. Only problem is that Nova is sure to get a market price offer and the Pirates only look for bargains. I don't see him spurning better offers to return. Barring a lights out spring, Glasnow should be in AAA or Bucs' bullpen to start the season.