Glasnow...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Glasnow...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He is starting again today and yet again he looks terrible. No poise no confidence or anything. Now yes he is very very young but if people are expecting this guy to pitch like a number 1 or 2 stud within the next year or two they are going to be in for a huge disappointment. He has a long way to go for him to even be considered in the starting 5 of a Major League rotation.
dave3BA

Glasnow...

Post by dave3BA »

496E7F7B7E635C687F7E7E631A0 wrote: He is starting again today and yet again he looks terrible. No poise no confidence or anything. Now yes he is very very young but if people are expecting this guy to pitch like a number 1 or 2 stud within the next year or two they are going to be in for a huge disappointment. He has a long way to go for him to even be considered in the starting 5 of a Major League rotation.

Weren't you one of the many posters who were adamant that the front office was making a mistake earlier this year when he wasn't being brought up?
SteadyFreddy

Glasnow...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea I was and I have no problem admitting I was wrong about that. Is that what you wanted to hear since all you like to do it seems like when you do posts is piss and moan about what I or anybody else puts on this board. I'm an idiot a moron and a dumbass for wanting them to call Glasnow up okay?? Does that make you feel better now?? I know this front office and management group is perfect. They are above criticism look at all the World Series and pennants they have won in the last 3-4 years.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Glasnow...

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Glasnow is young. No way do they give up on him. I wouldn't call him a disappointment. He just isn't ready. The Pirates said this all along. They were right. It's not a money issues.
Quail

Glasnow...

Post by Quail »

Given Glasnow's dominance at AAA it was only natural to want to see what he could do for the Pirates, especially earlier in the season when they lost Cole to injury and the rest of the rotation was struggling mightily.

Although great success at the minor league level is our best indicator to predict success at the major league level it isn't perfect. Some guys take longer than others to make that transition an effective one, and some never do. After seeing Glasnow pitch for the Pirates I think he might be better suited to transition via the bullpen. As I've said before let him get acclimated by pitching one inning at a time. Little steps.
PMike

Glasnow...

Post by PMike »

I posted this in the other Glasnow thread, but that thread got far from talking Glasnow. To keep the ball rolling about one of the top pitching prospects in baseball, I'll repost myself:

Last week I said that Glasnow should be in the rotation to start the season next year. This start didn't change anything. Again, the facts are that he has dominated at the minor league level and has nothing else to prove there. He has two problems that are easy to overcome this offseason. Develop a slide step from the stretch and mentally be determined to go after every hitter.

I thought today was an outing for optimism. His velocity was WAY down. He is pitching later into the season than he ever has before and he looks tired. His mechanics aren't sharp. That said, he looked way more confident and calm than he has when things have gone bad in previous games. When Bell dropped the fly ball, he kept his head up and made some good pitches. It's actually impressive that he was able to have any success today with 5-6 MPH off his fastball.

Guys are stealing on him at historic levels, but he has an historically high leg kick. Clearly it wasn't an issue in the minors. Now it is. It is a really easy and obvious fix. I wondered if they'd address it in season. Again, clearly they will fix it this off season. No big deal.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Glasnow...

I don't think the major leagues is the place to work on those things. His mechanics and thought process need work. He needs to learn on how not to over throw to cut down on his wildness.

A few months in the minors can help him. Results shouldn't be that much of a concern, but he needs to work on these things. I think he should be the mid-season call up.

(sorry for derailing the other post)
PMike

Glasnow...

Post by PMike »

68636B676263783D3B4C756D646363226F630C0 wrote: I don't think the major leagues is the place to work on those things.  His mechanics and thought process need work.  He needs to learn on how not to over throw to cut down on his wildness.

A few months in the minors can help him.  Results shouldn't be that much of a concern, but he needs to work on these things.  I think he should be the mid-season call up.

(sorry for derailing the other post)

No worries.

He was already a mid season call up. He doesn't have any of those problems in the minors. You can't work out the jitters or whatever mental stuff is going on in front of 3,000 people and sub par players when this issues are major league stadiums/crowds and the highest level players. None of his issues are problematic at the minor league level. He needs to be in the majors and continue figuring it out.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Glasnow...

His walks are very high in Triple A. He has 84 in 151 innings.

To compare, Taillon had 22 walks in 98 innings.

He is getting the strike outs, but still very wild. Major League hitters are more patient.

I think this is a big issue.
Bobster21

Glasnow...

Post by Bobster21 »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: His walks are very high in Triple A.  He has 84 in 151 innings.

To compare, Taillon had 22 walks in 98 innings. 

He is getting the strike outs, but still very wild.  Major League hitters are more patient.

I think this is a big issue. 
I agree. It's hard to say he's got nothing left to prove in the minors when he's never mastered control at that level.