Bucs Need to Add Lefty Starter This Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We keep reading that the Pirates hope to add a veteran starting pitcher or two this offseason, and in my opinion I think they need a lefty starter in the rotation. Clint Hurdle named Cole and Tailion as starters going into spring training. I would think Chad Kuhl would be a given a good shot to lock up another spot in the rotation, so I would think they need a lefty starter as a different look than the right handed starting pitchers.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

totally agree, I recently posted in another thread that PNC was built to be favorable to left handed pitchers and hitters and as the team that plays half its games there it needs to take advantage of the ballpark.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I third the idea of a lefty starter!!! We definitely need a lefty. Wonder if we could get anything out of Angels, CJ Wilson? Brett Anderson of Dodgers is another lefty the Bucs have chased in the past? Rich Hill is 37 years of experience? ...Bucs have to get a lefty for certain!

Beat'em Bucs :D

Quail

Post by Quail »

Trade Cutch for Jose Quintana of the White Sox.

The free agent group of lefty starting pitchers is considerably flawed. For the most part they're either injury cases, old, or just lousy. Might as well keep Locke as pay a premium for another FA lefty.

Wanting a lefty in the rotation is a nice idea, but the 2017 Pirates are going to have enough trouble cobbling together a starting staff that is barely adequate regardless of which arm they use. They need to sign or trade for the best pitcher(s) lefty or righty that they can.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

092D393134580 wrote: Trade Cutch for Jose Quintana of the White Sox.

The free agent group of lefty starting pitchers is considerably flawed. For the most part they're either injury cases, old, or just lousy. Might as well keep Locke as pay a premium for another FA lefty.

Wanting a lefty in the rotation is a nice idea, but the 2017 Pirates are going to have enough trouble cobbling together a starting staff that is barely adequate regardless of which arm they use. They need to sign or trade for the best pitcher(s) lefty or righty that they can.

Quintana has four more years of cheap control and would get much more attention if not for Chris Sale being on the same team. I don't think McCutchen gets him. You'd probably have to trade Marte to get him. Polanco has played too poorly the second half to get Quintana on his own most likely. I might be willing to trade Marte for him, though.
Quail

Post by Quail »

4B6E7D68747F747570781C0 wrote: Trade Cutch for Jose Quintana of the White Sox.

Quintana has four more years of cheap control and would get much more attention if not for Chris Sale being on the same team.  I don't think McCutchen gets him.  You'd probably have to trade Marte to get him.  Polanco has played too poorly the second half to get Quintana on his own most likely. I might be willing to trade Marte for him, though.

Marte would probably work. You're right about Polanco's poor finish lowering his trade value. I'd prefer to add any young pitcher not named Taillon or Glasnow to Cutch rather than deal Marte though.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Jose Quintana would be a good one to add to the rotation, but I don't know if giving up Marte or McCutchen and a rookie pitcher not named Tallion would be a very smart move. But then again, the front office has to do something. Bell could move to RF... Free Agency has never been the Bucs avenue for improvement. If Nova comes back, we could sign a CJ Wilson or a Edison Volquez to round out rotation...Should be an interesting off season.

Beat'em Bucs
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Hector Santiago of the Twins? He's a young lefty. Was an Angel before deal to Twinkies. What does the board think about him?

Beat'em Bucs
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4B7C6A7A4F686760674E48090 wrote: Hector Santiago of the Twins? He's a young lefty. Was an Angel before deal to Twinkies. What does the board think about him?

Beat'em Bucs

He has been hammered since he was acquired by Twins. 33 homers allowed this season. I'm not sure he would be better than Jeff Locke results wise.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

ECBucs, Wow, he is definitely not such a hot target! Did not realize he gave up that many long balls. Thanks for your post!

Beat'em Bucs