Huntington on the fan today...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Did anybody listen to his interview today?? It was very discouraging to hear if anybody did in terms is of moves for next season. Huntington said the Bucs are pretty much going to operate on a "tight" budget once again next year and watch what they spend. He hinted toward an all young pitching rotation next season as well if they can't sign a veteran starter. I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable with the kind of year they just had. For Huntington to come on and say they have very little money to spend when they just got rid of both Melancon and Liriano's contracts which were pretty substantial is simply ridiculous. I've so had it with this organization not taking the necessary steps in order to get to the next level. This owner and his puppet GM have no desire to do so and the comments today prove that point totally.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I won't defend the cheapness of the Nutting regime. But I will say that going with a young pitching staff next year appears to have been the plan all along. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl are penciled in and Glasnow might make it as well. Hutchison will be given every chance to make it. Brault gives them depth. There are no top FA pitchers anyway. They are trying to grow their own pitchers and 2017 is the logical time to see them in the rotation.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: I won't defend the cheapness of the Nutting regime. But I will say that going with a young pitching staff next year appears to have been the plan all along. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl are penciled in and Glasnow might make it as well. Hutchison will be given every chance to make it. Brault gives them depth. There are no top FA pitchers anyway. They are trying to grow their own pitchers and 2017 is the logical time to see them in the rotation.

Bobster makes sense which in my mind makes this season even more of a disaster. What was this year supposed to bridge to?

Also, do the Bucs expect next year to be a learning year for theyoung staff and then to contend in 2018? It is like the posters who say the team is really shooting to contend current year plus one or two but never in the current year. What happened to the 7 year plan?

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

1A3C3D2A3C2C5F0 wrote: I won't defend the cheapness of the Nutting regime. But I will say that going with a young pitching staff next year appears to have been the plan all along. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl are penciled in and Glasnow might make it as well. Hutchison will be given every chance to make it. Brault gives them depth. There are no top FA pitchers anyway. They are trying to grow their own pitchers and 2017 is the logical time to see them in the rotation.

Bobster makes sense which in my mind makes this season even more of a disaster. What was this year supposed to bridge to?

Also, do the Bucs expect next year to be a learning year for theyoung staff and then to contend in 2018?  It is like the posters who say the team is really shooting to contend current year plus one or two but never in the current year. What happened to the 7 year plan?

That's the thing Huntington already is looking for excuses to not spend money for next season and saying going with an all young rotation is a way to say we are going to wait yet another year. I have no problem with Cole and Taillon being the top 2 guys in the rotation next year and even a guy like Kuhl being a number 4 or 5 starter. But you gotta do better somewhere in the middle and go either sign a veteran starter who is decent and not some bum or go trade for one. Glasnow clearly isn't going to be ready to start next season up here and I personally think the guy is a headcase and has a long long way to go before he can pitch up here on a consistent basis.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

guess I have no reason to pay for tickets anytime soon
PMike

Post by PMike »

7D5A4B4F4A57685C4B4A4A572E0 wrote: I won't defend the cheapness of the Nutting regime. But I will say that going with a young pitching staff next year appears to have been the plan all along. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl are penciled in and Glasnow might make it as well. Hutchison will be given every chance to make it. Brault gives them depth. There are no top FA pitchers anyway. They are trying to grow their own pitchers and 2017 is the logical time to see them in the rotation.

Also, do the Bucs expect next year to be a learning year for theyoung staff and then to contend in 2018?  It is like the posters who say the team is really shooting to contend current year plus one or two but never in the current year. What happened to the 7 year plan?

That's the thing Huntington already is looking for excuses to not spend money for next season and saying going with an all young rotation is a way to say we are going to wait yet another year. I have no problem with Cole and Taillon being the top 2 guys in the rotation next year and even a guy like Kuhl being a number 4 or 5 starter. But you gotta do better somewhere in the middle and go either sign a veteran starter who is decent and not some bum or go trade for one. Glasnow clearly isn't going to be ready to start next season up here and I personally think the guy is a headcase and has a long long way to go before he can pitch up here on a consistent basis.

Who? Who is this veteran presence that slots into the three spot so nicely?

Why is Glasnow "clearly" not going to be ready next year? Other than needing to add a slide step to his stretch delivery, I think is quite ready to be in the rotation. He's not an ace yet, but he's young. His last start was very promising with subpar fastball velocity. His curve was quite impressive. I would almost guarantee he will start the season in the rotation.
Quail

Post by Quail »

In another thread I guessed that there were 3 possible approaches that the Pirates could use to re-build their starting staff: 1. The Smart way (trade for a stud starter) 2. Youth 3. Business as usual (scrap heap/reclamation projects).

I would prefer that they trade one of their outfielders in a deal to bring us a young stud starter (Archer, Carrasco or Quintana) but going with youth which Huntington apparently has indicated is their plan, is better IMO than business as usual. It'll be a bumpy ride but should be a lot of fun to watch these kids develop their game at the MLB level.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

15082C2E20450 wrote: I would almost guarantee he will start the season in the rotation.
I think that depends on his spring. I think they would love him to be impressive in ST and start the season in the rotation. But I don't think they'll throw him to the wolves if he struggles in ST like he struggled most of this season at the MLB level. It's up to him.
Quail

Post by Quail »

6A7753515F3A0 wrote: I won't defend the cheapness of the Nutting regime. But I will say that going with a young pitching staff next year appears to have been the plan all along. Cole, Taillon and Kuhl are penciled in and Glasnow might make it as well. Hutchison will be given every chance to make it. Brault gives them depth. There are no top FA pitchers anyway. They are trying to grow their own pitchers and 2017 is the logical time to see them in the rotation.

Who?  Who is this veteran presence that slots into the three spot so nicely?

Why is Glasnow "clearly" not going to be ready next year?  Other than needing to add a slide step to his stretch delivery, I think is quite ready to be in the rotation.  He's not an ace yet, but he's young.  His last start was very promising with subpar fastball velocity.  His curve was quite impressive.  I would almost guarantee he will start the season in the rotation.

Last I heard he also had some work to do on his change-up. Can't see why they wouldn't have him work things out at the MLB level since they're pretty clearly looking at 2017 as a rebuilding year for their pitching staff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I expect Glasnow to be the mid season call up. I really doubt he starts the season in the rotation.

I still expect another starter on the outside coming in. It's been done pretty much every year under Huntington.