Favorite Pirate Utility Players

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

As we are experiencing a Pirates off season of futility...or at least until the WS ends and NH gets his trading hat on LOL... I thought why not post something Pirate related to get folks engaged.

Who are your favorite Pirates Utility Players?

I will toss in my favorites...Since I have been a Bucs fan since early 60's....

60's era-Dick Schofield, Jerry Lynch, Gino Cimoli

early 70's era-Jose Pagan, Jackie Hernandez, Gene Clines

mid 70's- Fernando Gonzalez,Kurt Bevacqua, Art Howe

Will add some others later...

That should get everyone thinking...Have a great 1st of November everyone

Beat'em Bucs

Bucs Fan in GA
BenM

Post by BenM »

Matt "The Scat" Alexander. When I was a kid, I just loved that nickname.

He might be the only player in BaseballReference whose primary position is listed as "pinch runner". During his run with the late seventies Pirates he had more stolen bases than plate appearances.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Lloyd McClendon and Rob Mackowiak
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Rob Mackowiak was a fun player to follow. Remember him returning from hospital where his child was born, to have a big game against the Cincinnati Reds. Still wearing the ID Braclet no less. Good one!
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I liked Rafael Belliard: .221 lifetime average but stayed over .200 for twelve consecutive years. That's surviving!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

093E28380D2A2522250C0A4B0 wrote: Rob Mackowiak was a fun player to follow. Remember him returning from hospital where his child was born, to have a big game against the Cincinnati Reds. Still wearing the ID Braclet no less.  Good one!

Mackowiak had a huge double header against the Cubs. I think it was his birthday. He hit two HRs (one in each game).

I also liked Turner Ward and Wally Backman.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I liked Gary Kolb in the late 1960s. Could play anywhere including catcher. Incidentally, I recently saw his daughter on an old-time baseball related facebook page and became FB friends with her. She was surprised to learn her dad still had some fans, as he was always a utility player and never enjoyed a big fan following. She had him send me an autographed baseball card a few weeks ago. He's living in Chicago.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: Rob Mackowiak was a fun player to follow. Remember him returning from hospital where his child was born, to have a big game against the Cincinnati Reds. Still wearing the ID Braclet no less.  Good one!

Mackowiak had a huge double header against the Cubs.  I think it was his birthday.  He hit two HRs (one in each game).

I also liked Turner Ward and Wally Backman. 

I was thinking of that DH the other day. One was a walk-off, and I think one tied it in the ninth, and then Craig Wilson hit a walk-off dinger in Game 2. I think it's the only time in history when both ends of a DH ended with walk-off homers.
Quail

Post by Quail »

From the 60's Manny Mota.

From the 70's and early 80's Bill Robinson and Lee Lacy.

My favorite Pirate utility players names- Onix Concepcion ('87), Trench Davis ('85), Doe Boyland ('81), Chance Sanford ('98), and Yurendell de Caster ('06)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We cannot forget Gary Varsho who played on those early 1990 teams.