Cubs Indians...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Real simple yes or no answer do the Cubs comeback from down 3-1 and win the World Series?? I hope the hell I am wrong but I still say yes.
NJBucsFan

Cubs Indians...

Post by NJBucsFan »

No. Thank goodness.
ArnoldRothstein

Cubs Indians...

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Coming back and win is a pretty tall order.  Random odds I'm looking at, though, seem to have the Cubs at least 3-1 underdogs, and I think their chances are better than that.  You put Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta out there, and there's a chance that the Indians won't even see a lead again.
rucker59@gmail.com

Cubs Indians...

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Tevor Bauer is looking really good. Can he shut em down for another 3 innings to get it to the bullpen? Looks very possible.

Bigger Q for me: I wonder what Garrett is thinking as he watches his old teammate perform against the Cubs and stand a very good chance at winning the clinching WS game?
SteadyFreddy

Cubs Indians...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Cubs stay alive. If I was Maddon and this got to game 7 and the Cubs have the lead I would pitch Chapman from the 6th inning on the guy is like a block of ice.
MaineBucs

Cubs Indians...

Post by MaineBucs »

In looking at how Francona has used Miller, his best reliever, to pitch early in the game, and how Maddon has asked Chapman to go long, perhaps this will be the beginning of people rethinking the use of relievers.

Francona's use of Miller, a lights out reliever, has been particularly interesting.
Ecbucs

Cubs Indians...

Post by Ecbucs »

133F37303B1C2B3D2D5E0 wrote: In looking at how Francona has used Miller, his best reliever, to pitch early in the game, and how Maddon has asked Chapman to go long, perhaps this will be the beginning of people rethinking the use of relievers. 

Francona's use of Miller, a lights out reliever, has been particularly interesting.   

Chapman was very impressive in the 9th. I thought there was a good chance that he would run out of gas and not even pitch in the 9th. But he was throwing hard and still had control of his pitches.
Bobster21

Cubs Indians...

Post by Bobster21 »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: In looking at how Francona has used Miller, his best reliever, to pitch early in the game, and how Maddon has asked Chapman to go long, perhaps this will be the beginning of people rethinking the use of relievers. 

I think so. I think managers saw the result of Buck Showalter saving the best closer in MLB for a lead that never was and lose the game. Now they're using their closers intelligently.
thessy

Cubs Indians...

Post by thessy »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: In looking at how Francona has used Miller, his best reliever, to pitch early in the game, and how Maddon has asked Chapman to go long, perhaps this will be the beginning of people rethinking the use of relievers. 

I think so. I think managers saw the result of Buck Showalter saving the best closer in MLB for a lead that never was and lose the game. Now they're using their closers intelligently.

Buck Showalter had his head up his behind for sure but doesn't that same pitching situation arise on a pretty regular basis during the regular season already and hardly get mentioned? This one obviously gets a little extra attention because it was a playoff game, but I don't think MLB managers are unaware of what they're doing and the associated risk. I agree that it can be anywhere from a questionable to downright idiotic decision, but it seems to be a pretty deliberate decision and one that has been occurring (and sometimes burning managers) in baseball for a long time. Is a more high profile burn going to change things? I hope so, but don't think it will have much impact on how pitchers are managed during the regular season.

I don't think Chapman and Miller getting more innings has anything to do with Showalter's failure to pitch Zach Britton. You don't always see this because most teams don't have pitchers as dominant (both sub 1.50 ERA on the season) and athletic as Chapman and Miller. When a team does have a pitcher of that caliber, they're often used as much as possible in this situation ala MadBum in 2014.
RichD

Cubs Indians...

Post by RichD »

Wow what a great series.

These are real good teams.

These are great games .

I like how both teams are handling themselves.

Go Indians !!!!!

How come if a reporter talks to a baseball player you can understand what he says ? But the same reporter talks to a football player who has spent 5 years at Alabama , and is now in the pro`s, you cant understand a word . ;D

Things that make you go .....WOW ::)