Charlie Morton to Houston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

2 years, $14 million guaranteed, $5 million in incentives based on durability.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/a ... orton.html

Makes me feel very pessimistic about getting anyone via signing.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

497A6667646C5A677C607B7C6D6166080 wrote: 2 years, $14 million guaranteed, $5 million in  incentives based on durability.

I didn't know Dave Littlefield was running the Astros now. :D
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: 2 years, $14 million guaranteed, $5 million in  incentives based on durability.

I didn't know Dave Littlefield was running the Astros now.   :D

Well I mean look at the list. He was one of the "best" FA pitchers.
mouse

Post by mouse »

It's almost disheartening to see that contract. Morton is not a sure thing, may not help at all, but gets at least 7MM. I'm going to assume there's no increase to NH's budget so what does that mean we're looking at?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2A28323422470 wrote: It's almost disheartening to see that contract. Morton is not a sure thing, may not help at all, but gets at least 7MM. I'm going to assume there's no increase to NH's budget so what does that mean we're looking at?

scraps?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

644243544252210 wrote: It's almost disheartening to see that contract. Morton is not a sure thing, may not help at all, but gets at least 7MM. I'm going to assume there's no increase to NH's budget so what does that mean we're looking at?

scraps?

so you would be in favor of signing Charlie Morton for 7 MM, right? Because that sounds like what you're saying, that he somehow isn't "scraps."
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

41737F7F6B597A737E7B7473120 wrote: It's almost disheartening to see that contract. Morton is not a sure thing, may not help at all, but gets at least 7MM. I'm going to assume there's no increase to NH's budget so what does that mean we're looking at?

scraps?

so you would be in favor of signing Charlie Morton for 7 MM, right?  Because that sounds like what you're saying, that he somehow isn't "scraps."

probably not although I could see him being worth that for 1 year bounceback contract. I don't have faintest idea of what the Pirates will do this off season although I don't want them to punt on 2017.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Astros overpaid for Morton. That is insane what they gave him. The problem is that it raises the cost of free agent pitchers. Morton will have trouble pitching in the Astros ballpark.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Here's the problem with the Pirates trying to sign a pitcher.

The going rate is to "overpay by a ridiculous amount." That is the actual going rate. That's the normal. That's the routine.

So it the Pirates attempt to be "fiscally responsible," then they are immediately and automatically eliminated from signing ANY pitcher.

So they either have to commit to paying an absurd, insane amount to an average pitcher, or they have to just walk away from the market entirely.

They are NOT going to sign anyone by trying to be "fiscally responsible."

This industry has changed dramatically and that ship sailed last year and it ain't coming back.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4765766B686D6A65467167676B040 wrote: Here's the problem with the Pirates trying to sign a pitcher.

The going rate is to "overpay by a ridiculous amount." That is the actual going rate. That's the normal. That's the routine.

So it the Pirates attempt to be "fiscally responsible," then they are immediately and automatically eliminated from signing ANY pitcher.

So they either have to commit to paying an absurd, insane amount to an average pitcher, or they have to just walk away from the market entirely.

They are NOT going to sign anyone by trying to be "fiscally responsible."

This industry has changed dramatically and that ship sailed last year and it ain't coming back.

All the more reason we should have hung onto Liriano.