Cutch Trade Idea

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Jim Bowden from ESPN proposed this trade idea a piece he wrote about trades he would like to see.

Pirates trade McCutchen to the Dodgers for Jose DeLeon and Cody Bellinger.

Interesting idea. I would think hard on this one. DeLeon can step in next year in the rotation. Bellinger would probably be a year away but could be that 1B the Pirates have been looking for since since since...Stargell.

Thoughts?

(I don't know much about Bowden, but he did type Aaron Meadows instead of Austin as the Pirates top prospect in waiting)
PMike

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by PMike »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: Jim Bowden from ESPN proposed this trade idea a piece he wrote about trades he would like to see.

Interesting idea. I would think hard on this one. DeLeon can step in next year in the rotation. Bellinger would probably be a year away but could be that 1B the Pirates have been looking for since since since...Stargell. 

Thoughts?

(I don't know much about Bowden, but he did type Aaron Meadows instead of Austin as the Pirates top prospect in waiting)

Seems underwhelming.

I like De Leon. He has been very dominant in the minors. However he is 24. He should be in the majors at this point. The good news is the Pirates would have him for all of his peak years.

I don't know much about Bellinger, but I'm not too impressed. Lot's of power, but he's a .265ish hitter who strikes out a ton. I think Bell is a better hitter and is already established.

If it was Urias and Bellinger, I'd do it for sure.
Quail

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by Quail »

I suppose Deleon and Bellinger are decent enough prospects.

I'm a bit concerned that Deleon has only 17 innings MLB experience and less than 100 innings at AAA. Thinking he can step right into the Pirates rotation in 2017 is no sure thing. His control and strikeout rate look pretty good but he's never pitched more than 114 innings in any year as a pro.

Bellinger has performed well in the minors especially considering his age (he's only 21 years old) but has only 3 games experience above AA. As you mention he's probably at least a year away from reaching the majors.

Not sure if I'm overly optimistic but somehow I would hope McCutchen might bring back at least one sure fire MLB ready player which neither of Deleon or Bellinger is. If I were NH I'd consider this deal but be looking and hoping for something a bit better. In any event the Dodgers, given their financial troubles, may be in no position to be taking on payroll, even a salary as reasonable as McCutchen's.
Ecbucs

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by Ecbucs »

7753474F4A260 wrote: I suppose Deleon and Bellinger are decent enough prospects.

I'm a bit concerned that Deleon has only 17 innings MLB experience and less than 100 innings at AAA. Thinking he can step right into the Pirates rotation in 2017 is no sure thing. His control and strikeout rate look pretty good but he's never pitched more than 114 innings in any year as a pro. 

Bellinger has performed well in the minors especially considering his age (he's only 21 years old) but has only 3 games experience above AA. As you mention he's probably at least a year away from reaching the majors.

Not sure if I'm overly optimistic but somehow I would hope McCutchen might bring back at least one sure fire MLB ready player which neither of Deleon or Bellinger is. If I were NH I'd consider this deal but be looking and hoping for something a bit better. In any event the Dodgers, given their financial troubles, may be in no position to be taking on payroll, even a salary as reasonable as McCutchen's.   

I don't know anything about Bellinger but he was BA 54th ranked prospect going into 2016 so he has gotten some buzz. DeLeon did dominate in AAA in 2016 although in just 86 innings. He has big strike out numbers, 446 in 330 innings. I would guess the Dodgers would want to send someone with salary to Bucs too so maybe the Bucs would need to take Brandon McCarthy and his 11 million salary (and hope he isn't injured)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Trade Idea

Some sites have these two Dodgers as their top two prospects. Same sites have Bellinger as the #2 1B prospect and DeLeon as the #4 RHP in all of baseball.

Bellinger would be the big piece in this deal.
SCBucco

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by SCBucco »

404B434F4A4B501513645D454C4B4B0A474B240 wrote: Jim Bowden from ESPN proposed this trade idea a piece he wrote about trades he would like to see.

Thoughts?

Aren't the Dodgers in the not pick up high salary mode?

I'm not opposed to dealing Cutch.  However, I'm opposed to dealing Cutch and not reinvesting the savings on adding talent.  Fine, deal him for two prospects, but that 14 million or whatever coming off the books better be spent to improve the club.  I don't see this franchise doing it.  That 14 million would be used to bring in reclamation projects, not good talent that serve as solutions.  Again, I have zero faith in our management team trading Cutch for a good return and then using that money to bring in help, not crap.

I saw somewhere that the Yanks could have interest.  There were three names brought up with any two of them going in a package for Cutch.  Severino, Clint Frazier and Jorge Mateo.
mouse

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by mouse »

If the Dodgers are thinking of dumping some salary I don't see them trading top (and cheap) prospects so they can add more salary. I don't think they have a pressing need for another outfielder. I would think the Yankees (looking to get back to the top), Washington, or possibly even Atlanta (eager to have a good year in their new stadium, though not eager to trade prospects) would be more likely destinations.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cutch Trade Idea

I did read the post about the Dodgers, but they are always in the "must-win" mode. I can still see them adding players to get better.

This trade idea would put Bell in RF with Bellinger waiting for the call up to play 1B in the future. Bellinger can put up the power numbers McCutchen would have had and play 1B which has been needed for a long time.

I don't know if this even has any legs. It was just a writer from ESPN saying what he will do. But I do think it would be a good return on paper.
mouse

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by mouse »

I think it's just the random jottings of an ESPN writer with a column to produce.
SammyKhalifa

Cutch Trade Idea

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Isn't Jose DeLeon like 60 years old at this point? ;)