Why are the Pirates not in on Chris Sale?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I don't get why the Pirates are a no-show on the Chris Sale derby. Especially since so many of the original contenders for Sale have been unwilling to meet the White Sox demands.

Three years of a potential Cy Young contender with a team friendly contract that even the Pirates can afford.

I'd be more than willing to trade Marte. Or how about Meadows and JHay?

We've got a weakness. Pitching.

We've got a strength. Outfielders.

The Sox seem to covet a CFer and also a 2nd base (among others).

Package an OF to make a major upgrade in our pitching.

With Sale and one more pitcher (Nova?) the Pirates could absolutely contend with the Cubs if Cole and Tallion meet expectations. And even if the Pirates fall short of the Cubs, this would be a team that should move last the Cardinals and Sale is exactly the pitcher we need for the wildcard.

Is there any chance the Pirates are working behind the scenes? If Nutting wants everyone off his back, this one trade would silence everyone.

sale + Nova = WS contender. Why not? Neal - get er done.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I can think of two possible answers -- The Pirates are a team built to survive on promoting prospects - inexpensive talent they can keep until it gets expensive. They prefer to receive prospects rather than to give them away. Also, in looking at the AAA and AA rosters, there seems to be a glut of pitchers but not so many outfielders. The excess of outfield talent of several years ago seems to have gone away, one way or another.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I'm with ya Va. It makes good baseball sense for the Bucs to be looking to obtain Sale. He's exactly what they need to get back to being competitive within their division (Cubs and Cards). He's the one piece that could almost assuredly give them a chance to challenge not only for a Wild Card spot but a division championship.

Marte is my favorite Pirate, but if he could bring Chris Sale in a trade I make that trade and don't look back. We have depth at the outfield position (Meadows, Bell) but we don't have a true ace for our starting rotation. That would be a good, smart baseball trade. Unfortunately I think that Bob Nutting is not so much interested in baseball as he is in the business of baseball. As a consequence Huntington is forced to be obsessed with salary more than talent. He won't make a Marte for Sale trade because he'll be more focused on the extra $14.1M that he'll have to pay Sale over the next three years versus what he'd be paying Marte. It really doesn't matter that he needs an ace more than an all-star outfielder nor that the price he'll be paying for that ace is a relative bargain. It's not a bargain for a franchise that is more concerned with business than baseball.
rucker59@gmail.com

0420343C39550 wrote: I'm with ya Va. It makes good baseball sense for the Bucs to be looking to obtain Sale. He's exactly what they need to get back to being competitive within their division (Cubs and Cards). He's the one piece that could almost assuredly give them a chance to challenge not only for a Wild Card spot but a division championship.

Marte is my favorite Pirate, but if he could bring Chris Sale in a trade I make that trade and don't look back. We have depth at the outfield position (Meadows, Bell) but we don't have a true ace for our starting rotation. That would be a good, smart baseball trade. Unfortunately I think that Bob Nutting is not so much interested in baseball as he is in the business of baseball. As a consequence Huntington is forced to be obsessed with salary more than talent. He won't make a Marte for Sale trade because he'll be more focused on the extra $14.1M that he'll have to pay Sale over the next three years versus what he'd be paying Marte. It really doesn't matter that he needs an ace more than an all-star outfielder nor that the price he'll be paying for that ace is a relative bargain. It's not a bargain for a franchise that is more concerned with business than baseball.

Of course I fear you are correct. But from my prospective this is a "put up or shut up" moment for Bob Nutting. If he's serious about trying to win championships then this is an obvious (no, it's an OBVIOUS) opportunity. To be a disinterested party to the biggest opportunity in MLB this year, at a price the pirates could very definitely afford, an opportunity to change the franchise and its perception, means Nutting's word going forward will be absolutely meaningless.

There is no reason for Pirate fans to not be pushing this. Let management tell us why Chris Sale can't be a Pirate.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4344525A5443040871565C50585D1F525E5C310 wrote: I'm with ya Va. It makes good baseball sense for the Bucs to be looking to obtain Sale. He's exactly what they need to get back to being competitive within their division (Cubs and Cards). He's the one piece that could almost assuredly give them a chance to challenge not only for a Wild Card spot but a division championship.

Of course I fear you are correct.  But from my prospective this is a "put up or shut up" moment for Bob Nutting.  If he's serious about trying to win championships then this is an obvious (no, it's an OBVIOUS) opportunity.  To be a disinterested party to the biggest opportunity in MLB this year, at a price the pirates could very definitely afford, an opportunity to change the franchise and its perception, means Nutting's word going forward will be absolutely meaningless. 

There is no reason for Pirate fans to not be pushing this.  Let management tell us why Chris Sale can't be a Pirate. 

It takes two teams to make a trade, but the Pirates certainly should be in Sale. He could make a huge difference and the Pirates have young talent the White Sox may want. We just don't know the asking price.

I agree with you about Nutting investing more money. It will be hard to explain if a bunch of salary is dumped for 19 year olds. I don't agree with you about Huntington. He has to work with the budget he is given and so far has done a pretty good job.
rucker59@gmail.com

2F2D373127420 wrote: I can think of two possible answers -- The Pirates are a team built to survive on promoting prospects - inexpensive talent they can keep until it gets expensive. They prefer to receive prospects rather than to give them away. Also, in looking at the AAA and AA rosters, there seems to be a glut of pitchers but not so many outfielders. The excess of outfield talent of several years ago seems to have gone away, one way or another.

That's right, darn it! I forgot we had to move one of our top OF prospects to acquire Drew Hutchison. And what am I thinking! Why trade for Sale when Hutchinson is waiting to turn this franchise around!

The magnitude of absolute dishonesty and disrespect to the game of baseball and the fans of The Pirates in this "trade" is never more evident then now. We can't use prospects to acquire real talent, but we have no hesitation moving 2 (TWO!! >:() top prospects for a salary du.... I mean Drew Hutchinson is absolutely appalling.

I wish MLB would kick some azz in the Pirate FO.

Me - >:( >:(

Bob Nutting - 8-)

The Blue Jays - ;D

The state of the Pirates :D

The rest of baseball - :o

Neal covering Bob- ::)

The reality - :P :'(

rucker59@gmail.com

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: I'm with ya Va. It makes good baseball sense for the Bucs to be looking to obtain Sale. He's exactly what they need to get back to being competitive within their division (Cubs and Cards). He's the one piece that could almost assuredly give them a chance to challenge not only for a Wild Card spot but a division championship.

Of course I fear you are correct.  But from my prospective this is a "put up or shut up" moment for Bob Nutting.  If he's serious about trying to win championships then this is an obvious (no, it's an OBVIOUS) opportunity.  To be a disinterested party to the biggest opportunity in MLB this year, at a price the pirates could very definitely afford, an opportunity to change the franchise and its perception, means Nutting's word going forward will be absolutely meaningless. 

There is no reason for Pirate fans to not be pushing this.  Let management tell us why Chris Sale can't be a Pirate. 

It takes two teams to make a trade, but the Pirates certainly should be in Sale.  He could make a huge difference and the Pirates have young talent the White Sox may want.  We just don't know the asking price.

I agree with you about Nutting investing more money.  It will be hard to explain if a bunch of salary is dumped for 19 year olds.  I don't agree with you about Huntington.  He has to work with the budget he is given and so far has done a pretty good job.

Just to be clear - I don't blame Neal. I think he's a darn good GM. He's basically charged to pull rabbits out of his hat.

And you're correct that it takes two teams to make a trade, but I've not seen even one reference to the Pirates making inquiry.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Why? Because Pittsburgh doesn't make this type of deal. It doesn't have the stones to deal the type of pieces to get someone of this magnitude. Dog will come back with David Price and Pittsburgh's rumored package that almost worked. Well, Price never made it for a reason here.

Pittsburgh is set to deal Cutch and others for a reason. That doesn't bode well for bringing in Sale. They want to purge salary, not add.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

when you look at the Nats and their prospects it looks like they have better prospects than the Bucs.

IMO, there is just no way to compete by almost totally relying on your farm system and marginal free agents (middle relievers and back ups).

The thing about Sale is he is worth a lot of prospects because of his track record, three years of control and low contract. That is the kind of player the Pirates should want.

There is no reason to trade McCutchen unless a couple of very high end prospects come back (or a good major leaguer and a high end prospect). Cutch for Robles is a much bigger gamble for the Bucs than an even deal.
rucker59@gmail.com

634544534555260 wrote: when you look at the Nats and their prospects it looks like they have better prospects than the Bucs.

IMO, there is just no way to compete by almost totally relying on your farm system and marginal free agents (middle relievers and back ups).

The thing about Sale is he is worth a lot of prospects because of his track record, three years of control and low contract.  That is the kind of player the Pirates should want.

There is no reason to trade McCutchen unless a couple of very high end prospects come back (or a good major leaguer and a high end prospect).   Cutch for Robles is a much bigger gamble for the Bucs than an even deal. 

That's why I'm thinking package Marte - that's something the Nats can't match.

I fully expect Cutch to bounce back.