Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

There are a bunch of threads that have sort of related topics. I'm dedicating this to only talk/rumors about a McCutchen trade. Mods can do what they want with this.

Just saw this on Twitter. I don't know much about the prospects.

Inside Baseball ‏@InsideBaseball6 12m12 minutes ago

Count the #Giants in on the Andrew McCutchen trade talks. Possible offer to the #Pirates: SP Tyler Beede & 3B prospect Christian Arroyo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

thanks for posting.

I looked up these guys on Fangraphs (Giants prospect list from 10/31) Arroyo is number 1 prospect and Beede is second. Neither has a high ceiling though:

Though he’s had strike-throwing issues since college, Beede’s control took a substantive step forward this year and he projects for average command/control now. Unless you project liberally on the cutter because it’s a newer weapon, there isn’t any dominant aspect of Beede’s repertoire indicative of a mid-rotation starter or better. While his ceiling a tick above it, his most likely outcome is that of a fourth starter.

Arroyo should be at least an average defender at third base in time.

Arroyo projects as a Martin Prado type of player at peak, someone who primarily lines up at third base but can kick around to other positions should the need arise and who also makes lots of hard, low-lying contact. That’s an above-average major leaguer and Arroyo is close, especially with Duffy gone, to wearing a Giants uniform.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is a report of a mystery team in on Cutch, and the Giants do make sense since they need some additional outfield help now that Pagan is a free agent.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I'm officially not a fan of the Giants prospects. Beede doesn't strike enough guys out in the minors to be a top notch pitcher.

Second rumor...perhaps the mystery team:

Dodgers just signed/are signing Rich Hill to a 3 year contract. One would have to think that makes their young pitchers more available. I love Urias, but that seems unlikely unless it was even up. DeLeon and someone else. They have a number of intriguing prospects in their top 10.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

If we have to trade Cutch, and Neal seems set on doing it, then at least we now have multiple teams in on it and hopefully it will turn into a bidding war. So far we've seen Nats, Dodgers, Rangers and Giants. And hopefully there are more.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

7D5F4C515257505F7C4B5D5D513E0 wrote: If we have to trade Cutch, and Neal seems set on doing it, then at least we now have multiple teams in on it and hopefully it will turn into a bidding war. So far we've seen Nats, Dodgers, Rangers and Giants. And hopefully there are more.

I've seen the Rangers on most lists but never seen any type of rumor about who they would offer. The other teams you can at least speculate what a trade might look like.

Anybody have a guess?

The Giants unloaded their best farm guys to get Matt Moore at the deadline. I don't think they have anything close to the upside of the players rumored from the Nats or Dodgers -- unless they throw in more.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib 23m23 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

#pirates ask of Robles & Giolito was rebuffed by Nats, who also wonder about McCutchen's possible skill decline, leadership
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote: Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib  23m23 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

#pirates ask of Robles & Giolito was rebuffed by Nats, who also wonder about McCutchen's possible skill decline, leadership

That's unfortunate because those are the 2 players that the Bucs should command for Cutch.

I would then turn to the Dodgers and try to get DeLeon and Bellinger. DeLeon becomes a potential #1 starter. Bellinger finally solves the LH power 1B we have coveted forever. Bell moved to RF.
PMike

Post by PMike »

55707373664D70787A6D1F0 wrote: Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib  23m23 minutes ago Fort Washington, MD

That's unfortunate because those are the 2 players that the Bucs should command for Cutch.

I would then turn to the Dodgers and try to get DeLeon and Bellinger. DeLeon becomes a potential #1 starter. Bellinger finally solves the LH power 1B we have coveted forever.  Bell moved to RF.

I agree about the Washington prospects. What would you think if it was Robles and Lopez or Robles and Ross?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would take out Robles and make Giolito the main piece. Robles is a huge question mark at age 19.