Who is the #5 prospect for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Better turnout and great discussion for the #4 poll. Even though it was a bit of a runaway again.

So far

#1- Austin Meadows, OF, 21, Indy

#2- Tyler Glasnow, SP, 23, Indy/Bucs

#3- Josh Bell, 1b/OF, 24, Indy/Bucs

#4- Mitch Keller, SP, 20, WV

The young right-hander Keller wins 4th with 2/3 of the vote. Probably another clear-cut 5th place, but should become interesting soon. Added Alen Hanson, who could be this year's Sean Rod or not. For now, that's up to us to decide.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Forgot the age for Hayes, 19.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

414244585F4156590300310 wrote: Forgot the age for Hayes, 19.

I am hopeful, but, I need another year out of him..

I voted Newman here.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Newman, who I think is Exhibit A on how limited sites like Baseball America are in talent evaluation. They were wrong about him coming out of the draft, and I bet they hesitate to rank him highly because that would be admitting fault.

If Newman did what he did last year, and had been hyped by other internet prospect outlets, he'd probably be getting Dansby Swanson type treatment. I also don't get why people are down on the system when there are four prospects arguably better than him in the system.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Who should I add next? keep in mind this would be a 6-13 range guy. While I've seen suggestions for Osuna and Jin-De Jhang, I don't think they're quite that high. In the less meaningful prospect lists, Holmes, Hearn, Y. Garcia, Barnes and McGregor have fallen into that range (with the existing players on the poll).  Suggestions are always welcome, and if we really think Osuna or Jhang should be next I will add them. I don't think I can go more than 8 players, unless one of the mods knows how.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Garcia

Hearns

MacGregor

Ogle

I would probably add them in this order.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

49746A676862694B6374656362060 wrote: Newman, who I think is Exhibit A on how limited sites like Baseball America are in talent evaluation.  They were wrong about him coming out of the draft, and I bet they hesitate to rank him highly because that would be admitting fault.

If Newman did what he did last year, and had been hyped by other internet prospect outlets, he'd probably be getting Dansby Swanson type treatment.  I also don't get why people are down on the system when there are four prospects arguably better than him in the system.

Agreed. I think the system is not where it was a few years ago when they were easily top five in baseball and possibly number one. But, they have a system that would be envied by more than half the teams in MLB. And, the reality is that the reason it's not what it once was is because guys like Marte, Polanco, Cole, and Taillon are up and producing. That's the point of having a strong system.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Majo ... ball_draft

The 2015 draft class might stack up pretty well with the 2005 draft class.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

I picked Newman before Keller (last round) simply because he's able to contribute this year if need be. He's our starting AAA SS. So I stick with my pick this round as well. Hayes does not have the track record of college ball and AA.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

687F727676727870281B0 wrote: I picked Newman before Keller (last round) simply because he's able to contribute this year if need be.  He's our starting AAA SS.  So I stick with my pick this round as well.  Hayes does not have the track record of college ball and AA.

+1

Pretty much the same reasoning for why I picked Newman last round as well.