Who rounds out the top 10 prospects for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

So we will round out the top 10. Taylor Hearn wins big in the 9th round. Added last year 4th round draft pick Braeden Ogle, who only played in the rookie league last year, but was in at least one website's top 10 prospect.

The results so far

1 Austin Meadows 21 OF AAA

2 Tyler Glasnow 23 SP AAA/MLB

3 Josh Bell 24 1B/OF AAA/MLB

4 Mitch Keller 20 SP A-

5 Kevin Newman 23 SS AA

6 Ke'Bryan Hayes 19 3b A-

7 Nick Kingham 25 SP AAA

8 Cole Tucker 20 SS A+

9 Taylor Hearn 22 SP A-

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Do it for his sweet hexgrid tattoo:

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Went with Brault over Craig.

But we're sort of getting to the point in the list where if the guy doesn't take a step forward in 2017, they lose prospect status. Craig is going to be 22 in the low minors this season, if he doesn't rake then he might be just an organizational guy.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I went with Garcia. Lost some of his velocity this year, but increased his K/IP. His WHIP jumped too doing to giving up more hits and running pitch counts high and giving up a few more walks. At the end of the season, he went to have his shoulder checked out. As young as he is, it wouldn't be surprising to see him have (another?) breakout year this year. Esepcially if he is healthy and the shoulder is back to normal. The velocity could easily jump to the mid to upper 90s and he's be a top prospect. He was on that trajectory before last year.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I went with Craig. I have some sort of affinity for chunky dudes, I guess, since I've been a big Carlos Munoz supporter too. :)

I have my worries about the guy (defense and finding a position) but the guy raked against good competition (ACC) for two years. I'm only a little concerned about the wood bats issue. I think it may have less to do with the bats and more to do with facing better pitching. That's my biggest concern. His Wake Forest game logs showed he produced the most against the 2nd & 3rd starters during weekend series. And, his splits at WV against righties weren't great. He still hit for average and got on but showed zero power.

OK, that's a lot of negatives. That said, despite coming off a full college season, adjusting to life in the minors, and possibly adjusting to wood bats, he still walked as much or more than he K'd. He hit for average and got on base at excellent rates. I believe we'll feel a lot better about his bat - the one tool that will carry him to the majors - after this season and see him solidly in the top 10. I expect him to rake at WV (albeit with the power coming along slowly) and earn a promotion to Bradenton this season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: Do it for his sweet hexgrid tattoo:

Do you think he is slowly getting that tattoo filled in?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm hoping he gets it done like a map.