steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

He's evidently adding some velocity ?

https://twitter.com/drivelinebases/stat ... 8415221760
DemDog

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by DemDog »

That's nice but can he control his pitches? I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going. Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more. So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

72535B725951360 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

No, but it is easier to teach the other things than speed/velocity.

I do love Huntington's approach of bringing in power arms. Of course it doesn't always work, but better than a soft thrower not working out.
PMike

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by PMike »

45646C456E66010 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

His control issues are blown out of proportion at this point in his career. Yeah, his walk numbers are a bit high per 9 IP, but it's not like he has no idea where it's going. He's 6'9" and 23 years old. I can't imagine how hard it must be to get that length of arms, legs, and hips all doing the right thing and making it repeatable.

I really like Glasnow and think he is in a great spot at this point in his career. He has flat out dominated in the minors and showed glimpses even with reduced velocity in the majors last year.
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

48696148636B0C0 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

From what Ive read , Glasnow got a bit messed up last year. Lost some velocity from his stride being off a bit. He was mostly 93-94 last year. Now coming in around 96. When you factor in his size and arm angle , it's said to add 3-4 MPH. This video is from an off season program where he recently broke the indoor record for velocity.
DemDog

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by DemDog »

I agree with you PMike about the position he is in right now. But he still has some development to do. Get a better grasp of his control, gain confidence to use his change up when necessary and at 6'9" he needs to do something with his speed to the plate with the pitch. Seems I saw somewhere maybe P2 where he is working on shortening his step just a bit and it is helping some. I was just commenting on the fact that a gazillion mph fastball alone does not a #1 starter make. Here's hoping he figures some things out sooner than later.
PMike

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by PMike »

3B3C2D3E2D7C71480 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

From what Ive read , Glasnow got a bit messed up last year. Lost some velocity from his stride being off a bit. He was mostly 93-94 last year. Now coming in around 96. When you factor in his size and arm angle , it's said to add 3-4 MPH. This video is from an off season program where he recently broke the indoor record for velocity.

What was his velocity from the session? Was it off the mound in the windup, or was it the running thing that Kopesh did in the other video linked in another thread?
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

425F7B7977120 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

What was his velocity from the session?  Was it off the mound in the windup, or was it the running thing that Kopesh did in the other video linked in another thread?

It's difficult to figure that out. That 105 digital reading was the time. There were a few tweets trying to get the answer to your question. All we have is the administrator of the program saying Glasnow broke their record for MPH. I guess this is a program that has helped a lot of pitchers improve velocity. Baur from Cleveland being one.
PMike

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by PMike »

7473627162333E070 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

What was his velocity from the session?  Was it off the mound in the windup, or was it the running thing that Kopesh did in the other video linked in another thread?

It's difficult to figure that out. That 105 digital reading was the time. There were a few tweets trying to get the answer to your question. All we have is the administrator of the program saying Glasnow broke their record for MPH. I guess this is a program that has helped a lot of pitchers improve velocity. Baur from Cleveland being one.

Thanks. I read the twitter feed, but I didn't see a definitive answer. Though, twitter feeds can be dubious to follow.
steve49

Hoping we keep Glasnow

Post by steve49 »

736E4A4846230 wrote: That's nice but can he control his pitches?  I remember a certain #2 draftee pitcher who threw 100 mph but didn't know where the pitches were going.  Now Glasnow is not that bad but for all the hype he gets he still has to prove that he can get guys out consistently and go deeper into games. And he needs to work on a change up and use it a bit more.  So speed of pitches is not the only thing that matters to a pitcher.

Thanks.  I read the twitter feed, but I didn't see a definitive answer.  Though, twitter feeds can be dubious to follow.

Yeah .. I don't think the answer is there. But when you combine this with the recent articles about his stride improvement and the study that his FB looks almost +4MPH , it's encouraging.