Hall of Fame 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

What is everyone take on the 2017 Hall of Fame?

All deserve it for sure, Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez, and Selig, Schuerholz.

I was happy to see Bonds and Clemens get more votes and rise up the list. Weird how Schilling lost votes. Was it because of his Twitter comments?

I thought Hoffman and Guerrero would get in this time, especially over Raines. Hoffman's second year on the ballot and Guerrero's first year. But baseball is so weird when it comes to "when you get in" which I never understood. They have to get in eventually.

Sosa was way down the list for some reason. He should have got more votes, but he got enough to stick around for future ballots. L. Smith did not and he can't get in. I thought he deserved it as he led the majors in Saves when he retired.
SammyKhalifa

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Selig?!?
PMike

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by PMike »

I am old fashioned and don't think the proven steroid guys should get in. It was against the law/rules and they cheated. They shouldn't be in the HOF. If they get in, Joe Jackson and Pete Rose should be in.

* Disclaimer, I personally don't think Jackson was part of the scandal. I think he has been unjustly prosecuted historically.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hall of Fame 2017

5B6965657143606964616E69080 wrote: Selig?!?

It's funny that Selig gets in and not the "steroid" players even though Selig let them do it. Selig did change the economics and goes down as a good commissioner. I am not a fan, I don't think he did enough for the small markets, but I know I am in the minority.
SammyKhalifa

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by SammyKhalifa »

606B636F6A6B703533447D656C6B6B2A676B040 wrote: Selig?!?

It's funny that Selig gets in and not the "steroid" players even though Selig let them do it.  Selig did change the economics and goes down as a good commissioner.  I am not a fan, I don't think he did enough for the small markets, but I know I am in the minority.

He lost me when he announced he wanted to contract the Twins, who (coincidence of coincidences!) just happened to be the team that most cut into the potential market of his Brewers.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hall of Fame 2017

Selig was never a small market guy. I thought he would help more being the former Brewers owner.

Yeah, he made teams a lot of money, but the richer still got richer. There always seemed to be a large market bias from him.
IABucFan

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by IABucFan »

I'm going to make this point, and not say another word about it, as I really don't have any desire to debate politics on this board. If others want to respond to my point, by all means, feel free, but I'll have nothing more to say on the subject past this.

I think it's a shame what is happening to Curt Schilling. It seems to me that he's being blackballed for his politically conservative POV. So much for tolerance...Off the top of my head, I can't recall what he tweeted out, but he wouldn't be the first person and certainly won't be the last to say something dumb on Twitter. From a baseball standpoint though, in my mind, Schilling absolutely deserves to be in the hall. He was one of the best pitchers of his generation. I don't have his stats in front of me, but for the better part of a decade, he was the definition of an ace.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hall of Fame 2017

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: I'm going to make this point, and not say another word about it, as I really don't have any desire to debate politics on this board.  If others want to respond to my point, by all means, feel free, but I'll have nothing more to say on the subject past this. 

I think it's a shame what is happening to Curt Schilling.  It seems to me that he's being blackballed for his politically conservative POV.  So much for tolerance...Off the top of my head, I can't recall what he tweeted out, but he wouldn't be the first person and certainly won't be the last to say something dumb on Twitter.  From a baseball standpoint though, in my mind, Schilling absolutely deserves to be in the hall.  He was one of the best pitchers of his generation.  I don't have his stats in front of me, but for the better part of a decade, he was the definition of an ace.

I agree. He should be judged on his baseball playing days and not his tweet about transgenders. Not sure if that is the case, but he did lose votes.
Quail

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by Quail »

0F1236343A5F0 wrote: I am old fashioned and don't think the proven steroid guys should get in.  It was against the law/rules and they cheated.  They shouldn't be in the HOF.  If they get in, Joe Jackson and Pete Rose should be in.

* Disclaimer, I personally don't think Jackson was part of the scandal.  I think he has been unjustly prosecuted historically.

Those are my feelings as well.

I like Tim Raines being elected.
Ecbucs

Hall of Fame 2017

Post by Ecbucs »

7C7477405673545B350 wrote: I'm going to make this point, and not say another word about it, as I really don't have any desire to debate politics on this board.  If others want to respond to my point, by all means, feel free, but I'll have nothing more to say on the subject past this. 

I think it's a shame what is happening to Curt Schilling.  It seems to me that he's being blackballed for his politically conservative POV.  So much for tolerance...Off the top of my head, I can't recall what he tweeted out, but he wouldn't be the first person and certainly won't be the last to say something dumb on Twitter.  From a baseball standpoint though, in my mind, Schilling absolutely deserves to be in the hall.  He was one of the best pitchers of his generation.  I don't have his stats in front of me, but for the better part of a decade, he was the definition of an ace.

I agree he shouldn't lose votes for his politics. However, I think he is borderline hall of famer. I would put Mussina in ahead of him. I know some stat systems rate Schilling in the top 25 or so starters of all time but I just have a tough time seeing him that way.

The similar players baseball reference lists for him are:

Kevin Brown

Bob Welch

CC Sabathia

Tim Hudson

Orel Hershiser

Freddie Fitzimmons

Milt Pappas

Mark Buehrle

Bartolo Colon

John Smoltz

I was looking at some stats and Bartolo Colon and Jack Morris are very similar. (I don't put either of them in Hall of Fame and would put Schilling in ahead of them).