Piratefanbill

Ownership article

Post by Piratefanbill »

Ownership Article from PG

Just curious about your thoughts on this article
SteadyFreddy

Ownership article

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It's the same crap pretty much. If Nutting is serious about winning a World Series and not just "competing" then he will spend more money and give NH the resources he needs at the deadline or in the offseason to go out and sign or acquire those 1 or 2 extra players this team needs to get over the hump. They had the chance to do that last season when they came off a 98 win season and failed and failed miserably to do so. So how are we supposed to take anything that Bob Nutting says seriously??
rucker59@gmail.com

Ownership article

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Yeah, I appreciate the article, but it doesn't really help us understand where Bob Nutting is coming from. He acknowledges that much more needs to be done, but offers no word as to what that means to him or his expectation of others.

I give him all the credit in the world for stabilizing the franchise and putting a good product on the field. But I don't understand how he expects greater achievements UNLESS he opens up the bank account. Is he expecting more from the player? Clint? Neal? I think those guys have all over preformed. The only reasonable way to expect greater success requires his greater financial participation. Does he think otherwise? I wish these questions were asked.
SammyKhalifa

Ownership article

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Thanks.

I think it's fair and interesting. Takes a relatively neutral stance on the goings-on inside the ownership.
IABucFan

Ownership article

Post by IABucFan »

Good article. I think Nutting is often times unfairly vilified, but this article certainly portrays him in a positive light.

That said, much of the criticism is warranted, IMHO. It's very clear that the Pirates continually refuse to spend requisite dollars to compete with even medium market clubs. I've never been an advocate of gobbling up the best free agents. But, here and there, to augment a need, yeah, Nutting needs to, literally, put his money where his mouth is.

Payroll has increased, but as other have routinely pointed out, we haven't been willing to fill obvious holes (i.e. a spot in the rotation last year or this year). As it turns out, it wouldn't have made any different last year, but that was more incidental than anything. Who knows...the difference between Jason Hammel and Hutchison might be three wins. We may miss out on the WC by three wins. Then again, we might not. The point is that everyone can see the glaring weakness in our rotation. Nutting even can see it. "We aren't where we need to be." Well, with all due respect Mr. Nutting, THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

That said, I still feel Nutting gets unfairly criticized a lot. Much is warranted, but not all.
notes34

Ownership article

Post by notes34 »

Pretty much what we already know. I appreciate what they've done, but we got to this point and are becoming stagnant. I don't think they will every win a championship without going outside their comfort zone. He has shown to this point that he is unwilling to do that.
Bobster21

Ownership article

Post by Bobster21 »

It's consistent with my perception of Nutting. He truly wants to win and is proud of how the team has improved under his watch. But on the other hand, he will only go so far where money is concerned. He says the Pirates aren't where they need to be and must get better. However, it seems any improvement will still have to be made without the benefit of productive players who come with even a moderate price tag. The formula of developing prospects and acquiring reclamation projects will have to be enough because that's as far as hew is willing to go for the improvement he seeks. He sees how the team got drastically better during his regime and seems to believe that will translate to a championship some day. But championship teams generally are willing to make 1 or 2 bold moves to separate themselves from the other good teams and get over the hump. And that's the extra step Nutting is unwilling to take. I believe him when he says he wants to win and that the team needs to get better. But he's using a formula that always has and probably always will fall short of the mark.
SteadyFreddy

Ownership article

Post by SteadyFreddy »

You cant come out like Nutting did in this article and say the things he said and then turn around and do absolutely nothing about it from a financial standpoint. Like IA pointed out in the post he made If Nutting is going to sit there and make comments such as "We aren't where we need to be." then put your money where your mouth is and do something about it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Ownership article

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It was a decent overall article. I also think Nutting doesn't get enough credit to where the team is now compared to when he took over.

He isn't happy with the current team, but he is going back to the same model that helped in 2013. I understand that, but he should make some changes or additions to that model.

He took over a mess, he turned the pirate ship around which took years. Now, they need to push a little more. I don't know the best approach, but Huntington, Coonelly, and Nutting should.

I think 2016 put a bad taste in people's mouth after 2013-2015. I am hoping and think 2016 was out of the norm.
Bobster21

Ownership article

Post by Bobster21 »

7E59484C49546B5F484949542D0 wrote: You cant come out like Nutting did in this article and say the things he said and then turn around and do absolutely nothing about it from a financial standpoint. Like IA pointed out in the post he made If Nutting is going to sit there and make comments such as "We aren't where we need to be." then put your money where your mouth is and do something about it.
I'm guessing that when hes says "We aren't where we need to be" he's thinking they need to develop more prospects and/or prepare them better and that Hurdle and his coaches need to get more out of the players they are given. Nutting seems to believe that his plan is good enough and it's only the execution of that plan that needs to improve.