Bucs and Cards to play game at Williamsport

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is a report that the August 20th game between the Bucs and Cards will be played at Williamsport. ESPN which televises the Little League World Series will televise the Sunday night game. The game will be played at the Williamsport minor league ballpark which holds about 4,200 fans.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I like it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: I like it.

I don't! The Little League World Series is a focus on the kids and not the pros. I don't think that LLWS revenue is hurting that they need to call in the pros. As I see it this is just a ploy by MLB to horn in on something that has become a big time American tradition featuring kids from all over the world.

Come on MLB let the kids be.

Oh yes, I forgot think of all the Pirate fans who get screwed out of a home game. How will the Bucs compensate them?
PMike

Post by PMike »

25040C250E06610 wrote: I like it.

I don't!  The Little League World Series is a focus on the kids and not the pros.  I don't think that LLWS revenue is hurting that they need to call in the pros.  As I see it this is just a ploy by MLB to horn in on something that has become a big time American tradition featuring kids from all over the world.

Come on MLB let the kids be.

Oh yes, I forgot think of all the Pirate fans who get screwed out of a home game.  How will the Bucs compensate them?

I also hate this idea. Indeed...hate. Not only is it making the LLWS title game anticlimactic, it's also screwing over the Pirates and their fans.

As mentioned above, the loyal season ticket holders all lose a home game.

More importantly, they will be putting a Pirates team that should be in the heart of a playoff run out of their home routines and environment. No home fans. No home surroundings. Instead, they will get a bunch of fans from around the world that love baseball but are apathetic about the two teams in front of them. How do these guys get up for a game in front of 5k fans when you are used to playing in front of 40k+ fans. What a punch in the face to the Pirates.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ha, well one way or the other I certainly didn't expect it to draw such a strong reaction. I think it's a nice thing for the kids that will be there and won't be a distraction from the "big game" at all. The Pirates gain a national broadcast out of the deal and I'm sure will be compensated in some way by MLB. And if playing in a field three hours is enough to throw them off in a race . . . well, I kind of doubt they were ever REALLY in the race at all.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I personally think this is a cool idea and people are way over-thinking it. The Pirates will surely be compensated for the lost home game, and this will put the team on the national stage in what should be a really cool environment. And also, and most importantly, it will be an absolute thrill of a lifetime for all of those kids to see a major league ballgame in that setting. I like it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

This is no different than when the Braves played the Marlins at Fort Bragg last year.

Not sure how I feel. It sucks losing a home game, but great exposure and a cool experience for all involved.
PMike

Post by PMike »

42707C7C685A79707D787770110 wrote: Ha, well one way or the other I certainly didn't expect it to draw such a strong reaction.  I think it's a nice thing for the kids that will be there and won't be a distraction from the "big game" at all.  The Pirates gain a national broadcast out of the deal and I'm sure will be compensated in some way by MLB.  And if playing in a field three hours is enough to throw them off in a race . . . well, I kind of doubt they were ever REALLY in the race at all. 

Maybe. Baseball is a fickle game, though. All it took 4 years ago was one egregious call at home plate in the 18th inning to set things into a tail spin.

This just seems unnecessary. Let the Phillies play that game.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5C416567690C0 wrote:

Maybe.  Baseball is a fickle game, though.  All it took 4 years ago was one egregious call at home plate in the 18th inning to set things into a tail spin.

This just seems unnecessary.  Let the Phillies play that game.

I totally agree with that. I still boo Jerry Meals and I probably always will. And some people don't like replay?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

One more piece of evidence further validating my claim that MLB really doesn't care about how many butts are in seats. But they care very much about how many eyes are watching on TV.