Unofficial OBN WBC Thread . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Another Bucco added to WBC roster. Looks like JHay will be joining the US team in the WBC. He is taking Matt Carpenter's place.

Harrison joins Cutch, Marte, Polanco, Cervelli, and Nova from the MLB squad. I do believe there are a couple of farmhands playing for some teams. There are kids from Australia and The Netherlands included. Too lazy to look up their names.

Lets hope that the time away from the Buccos will be beneficial to these players and also allow the Bucs to look at a few guys who would not likely get such a long look in ST. Somebody may surprise us.

Let's our discussion of the WBC in this thread.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

12333B123931560 wrote:   Too lazy to look up their names.

No idea if this is up-to-date or complete:

Sam Street, Australia

Eric Wood, Canada

Luis Escobar, Colombia

Jared Lakind, Israel

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The WBC will give players like Meadows, Osuna, Hanson and Gosselin much more playing time. So far this spring Osuna has been very impressive. He could be one of the first players recalled if one of the position players get injured and had to be placed on the DL.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I hope Osuna plays more outfield this year. First base is crowded with Bell, Jaso, and Freese.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: I hope Osuna plays more outfield this year.  First base is crowded with Bell, Jaso, and Freese.
Jaso is a wasted roster spot. A .260-ish bat off the bench with no power who is weak defensively at 1B and has little experience at any other position. But he's owed 4 million this year so he's likely to make the team. I suspect they'll look to trade him all season long but doubtful they'll find a taker unless he's a throw in for a bigger deal (i.e., they could insist he be part of any trade involving Cutch or Watson at the deadline). Otherwise, as the season wears on and most of his 4 million has already been paid, they might not mind releasing him. In any case, I don't see him being on the team by the end of the season.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Marte went 3-4 with a double and a homer (off Andrew Miller) for the DR tonight. Also, Tito Polo had a heck of a catch the other day for Columbia. Cervelli went 3-6 with a double for Italy. Good showing for the Bucs so far in the WBC.
ThePirate

Post by ThePirate »

464E4D7A6C496E610F0 wrote: Marte went 3-4 with a double and a homer (off Andrew Miller) for the DR tonight.  Also, Tito Polo had a heck of a catch the other day for Columbia.  Cervelli went 3-6 with a double for Italy.  Good showing for the Bucs so far in the WBC.

I also saw that Tito Polo catch and was happy for the bucs, but then I noticed that he's now part of the Yankees organization. Apparantely he was part of the deal for Nova.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

McCutchen got ejected Friday night complaining about balls and strikes. It was a terrible call by the umpire.

This would have been a perfect time to use the electronic strike zone and see how it works.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bad call aside, it does seem to continue a trend from last year where he's arguing calls a lot. No way of knowing if that was a really touchy up or if he said something, but not the best approach.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

24263C3A2C490 wrote: Bad call aside, it does seem to continue a trend from last year where he's arguing calls a lot. No way of knowing if that was a really touchy up or if he said something, but not the best approach.

I'm sure he was frustrated sine he wasn't hitting like he has in the past. I have no idea what he said this time, but he was clearly right. Players will always disagree with umpires. Running them for complaining will get old too.