Catcher-Francisco Cervelli

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Eight days until opening day...so, I want to go around the diamond on the projected lineup.  Thoughts on Cervelli?  He was disappointing last year, but that was in large part due to the hand issue.  If he can stay healthy, I think he can be an above average catcher...not elite, like Posey or Molina.  But, good enough to be a starter on a playoff contending team.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I actually feel like Cervelli will have a nice bounce-back season. If his hand is OK and he stays healthy he should do considerably better than hit 1 HR as he did in 2016. The Bucs will need someone to improve their power numbers as Joyce, Rodriguez, Kang and their combined 52 HRs won't be around.

My biggest hope for Cervelli is that he remains healthy. Stewart is OK defensively but his bat is a black hole if he has to play regularly. It'd be a big plus to the Pirate lineup to have Cervelli's better than average offensive production from the catcher position.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

He should rebound some offensively. I'm a bit concerned about his throwing from what I've seen this spring.

The key, as stated previously, is his health. The catcher position can be above average if he can start 110 games give or take. Fingers crossed.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Do not think he is over his foot injury. Not much being said lately about it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He has to rebound. He was a big reason why the Pirates weren't very good last year. He was well below from his season before. He really has only had one full season under his belt. He might still be a question mark. But I did like signing him longer term.