2. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) CF

4. Gregory Polanco (L) LF

5. Jose Osuna (R) RF

6. Josh Bell (S) 1B

7. Phil Gosselin (R) 2B

8. Chris Stewart (R) C

9. Gerrit Cole (R) P

Can Cole (0-6, 5.44 Career) ever beat the Reds?

Can the 2017 Pirates ever win a Monday game?

Osuna, who wasn't good enough to start the next 2 games after getting 4 hits, is now good enough to bat 5th.

Ngoepe, who gave the Bucs a much needed shot in the arm will again sit so that Gosselin can play.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Gosselin shouldn't be starting. He especially shouldn't be starting at 2B. I don't understand why Harrison plays 3B when Gosselin is in the line up. There has to be more plays at 2B than 3B in a game.

Diaz is the back up catcher tonight. Cervelli claims no DL for him, but we will see.
Bobster21

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Bobster21 »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: Gosselin shouldn't be starting.  He especially shouldn't be starting at 2B.  I don't understand why Harrison plays 3B when Gosselin is in the line up.  There has to be more plays at 2B than 3B in a game.

Diaz is the back up catcher tonight.  Cervelli claims no DL for him, but we will see.
It's not an issue of which position gets the most plays. All positions require different skills. 3B is a reactionary position. Most balls hit there are much harder than at 2B and require faster reactions. There are also bunts that must be charged. Apparently, Hurdle feels Harrison 3B/Gosselin 2B works better than the other way around.
CutchisaBoss

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Cole with some big strikeouts to ruin Billy getting on base and stealing at will...
fjk090852-7

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I sure wish the Bucs would discover how other teams get Hamilton out. He must be batting close to.300 in his career against the Pirates.
Bobster21

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Bobster21 »

3C30316A636A626F68776D5A0 wrote: I sure wish the Bucs would discover how other teams get Hamilton out. He must be batting close to.300 in his career against the Pirates.
Career .245 batter. But entered tonight with a career .320 BA vs Bucs. Career .235 hitter excluding Pirates.
fjk090852-7

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I sure wish the Bucs would discover how other teams get Hamilton out. He must be batting close to.300 in his career against the Pirates.
Career .245 batter. But entered tonight with a career .320 BA vs Bucs. Career .235 hitter excluding Pirates. That is amazing that he hits Pirate pitchers that well. I bet he has about 50 stolen bases vs the Bucs. He singles or walks and before you know it he is on third base.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: Gosselin shouldn't be starting.  He especially shouldn't be starting at 2B.  I don't understand why Harrison plays 3B when Gosselin is in the line up.  There has to be more plays at 2B than 3B in a game.

Diaz is the back up catcher tonight.  Cervelli claims no DL for him, but we will see.
It's not an issue of which position gets the most plays. All positions require different skills. 3B is a reactionary position. Most balls hit there are much harder than at 2B and require faster reactions. There are also bunts that must be charged. Apparently, Hurdle feels Harrison 3B/Gosselin 2B works better than the other way around.

It should be considered. I just disagree with Hurdle.

Why was Marte moved? He was the best LF in baseball. But he will get to more balls in CF and McCutchen will get less balls hit to him. The Pirates want Marte to get more balls, right?

Harrison is the better fielder at 2B and 3B when compared to Gosselin. Have you seen Gosselin turn a double play? Overall, Harrison at 3B weakens the defense. I want Harrison touching the ball more than Gosselin. I hope there are stats that the Reds hit more balls to 3B or that Cole has hitters pull the ball on him and this alignment is justified.

Ngoepe is said to eb the best fielder in the organization. Why isn't he playing 3B when in the line up?
CutchisaBoss

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Gerrit looking to excise some demons...coming into tonight in his career against the Reds he was 0-6 with a 5.44 ERA
Bobster21

5/1 game vs Reds

Post by Bobster21 »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote: Gosselin shouldn't be starting.  He especially shouldn't be starting at 2B.  I don't understand why Harrison plays 3B when Gosselin is in the line up.  There has to be more plays at 2B than 3B in a game.

It should be considered.  I just disagree with Hurdle. 

Why was Marte moved?  He was the best LF in baseball.  But he will get to more balls in CF and McCutchen will get less balls hit to him.  The Pirates want Marte to get more balls, right?

Harrison is the better fielder at 2B and 3B when compared to Gosselin.  Have you seen Gosselin turn a double play?  Overall, Harrison at 3B weakens the defense.  I want Harrison touching the ball more than Gosselin.  I hope there are stats that the Reds hit more balls to 3B or that Cole has hitters pull the ball on him and this alignment is justified. 

Ngoepe is said to eb the best fielder in the organization.  Why isn't he playing 3B when in the line up? 

The required OF skills are the same for each spot. So, yes, they wanted Marte in CF where he could get to the most balls. But you can't compare that to 2B vs 3B. I agree Ngoepe should be playing.