Reasons to Believe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Reasons to Believe

Post by Roberto218 »

A tough year so far, but there is a reason for cautious optimism: 1. Taillon wil be back next week; 2. Marte back on July 17th; 3. Trevor Williams is pitching well; 4. Cutch may finally be out of his funk; 5. Bell should improve; 6. Frazier is very good;7. The Central Division is up for grabs.

We need Cole to get back in the groove, but it could be a decent summer.
SammyKhalifa

Reasons to Believe

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It's totally imaginable that this team--the worst team we've had in the last five years--is the only one in that span to win a division.

I'm not predicting it or expecting it, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
NJBucsFan

Reasons to Believe

Post by NJBucsFan »

I tend to be a little too optimistic at times, but I'm with you. If you had told me we'd lose Marte, Kang and Taillon for a considerable amount of time, and that Cutch would stink for a month and a half, and that we'd only be four games out on June 5th I'd take that in a heartbeat.
SammyKhalifa

Reasons to Believe

Post by SammyKhalifa »

In comparison we're seven games out of the wild card (we ended up last season 8.5 GB). That's not very good. A whole mess of things have conspired to keep us this close. I'd take it though.
CarolinaBucco

Reasons to Believe

Post by CarolinaBucco »

4 games out of 1st is pretty good.

Everything that has transpired has been pretty bad. This has not been a good team by any stretch.

But I agree ... the Pirates are still in position to turn this around, but a lot has to fall into place. And, to me, the two most critical component are:

1. Cole has to be dominant (if he is even capable of it, and I'm not so sure).

2. Cutch has to return to being the old Cutch or at least something close to the original version.

If those two things happen, this team could hang around for a good while.

But those are very big "ifs."
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Reasons to Believe

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why don't we just tell Cole he is the third pitcher in the rotation to take some pressure off? It worked for McCutchen.
mouse

Reasons to Believe

Post by mouse »

[Dog - ]"Why don't we just tell Cole he is the third pitcher in the rotation to take some pressure off? It worked for McCutchen."

Now there's an idea! :)
Roberto218

Reasons to Believe

Post by Roberto218 »

Fangraphs gives us an 8% chance to make the playoffs, about the same as the Brewers.
fjk090852-7

Reasons to Believe

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If the Cubs and Cards continue to struggle there is some hope for the Bucs. If Cole returns to form , and with Taillon about to return the Pirates have three solid starters with Nova. If Glasnow and Kuhl struggle they have Williams and possibly Kingham to replace them. If Cutch continues to hit that extends the lineup. Who knows those are several "ifs" but a lot of the season remains for the Bucs to turn this season around.
SammyKhalifa

Reasons to Believe

Post by SammyKhalifa »

665B565146405B06050C340 wrote: same as the Brewers.

imagine how'd that make you feel if you were the Brewers. I mean, aren't they still in first place?